can I reclaim PPI

Options
Arf
Arf Posts: 10 Forumite
edited 16 June 2010 at 1:18PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Hi all,

I have a Halifax Credit Card, which was flogged to me in a Branch a good few years ago (4-5 years ago i think). The person who sold it told me that PPI would protect me against any fraud transactions (if any fraud should occour, and I did not have PPI - I would have to foot the bill).
So i said ok put it on.... I then ran up a balance of around £3500 or so on the card and was paying £30+ PPI every month for years. A year later I found out that you're always protected against fraud...

I then did a B/T and have paid the card off a year or so ago. I have not since used the card.. infact they sent me a letter saying as they are a responsible bank they wish to close my credit card account as i don't use it.

Can I claim this back? should I claim this back? I have been putting this off for years as I a, don't want to cause a fuss and b not sure if i'm entitled to claim it back

Cheers all.

Comments

• roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i think your getting policies muddled up. usually the bank sell something called card guard which protects you against fraudulent transactions. This is NOT ppi.
    PPI will make you payments if you lose your job or are off sick long term.
  • Arf
    Arf Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    hi,

thanks for the reply. Card Guard is used to protect your cards, if you were to loose these while say you were abroad. they will send you new ones and cancel all ones that have been stolen/lost.

It is PPI I had as it stated it on my statement.

Cheers
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

If mis sold the PPI for any reason you have then give it a go on reclaiming it.

You will find more info on link below and a questionnaire recently issued by the financial ombudsman service (FOS) further down the page as Stage one of reclaiming, remember to save a completed copy and send to whom is responsible for setting up the policy.
    They have 8 weeks in full to respond with a decision.
    These are used for reclaiming for ppi on loans/credit cards and so on.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

Good luck and ask for further help if required.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport