Please help re Monument and Barclays nightmare!

Options
I am writing to bring to your attention the appalling customer service I have received from Monument in the past 18 months.

I paid off and closed my account in March 2009 and entered a dispute process via Ashworth Law with reference to unreasonable fees and unwanted PPI. I received notification from Ashworth Law in mid-April 2010 that Monument had settled to the amount of £2,444.02.

This was incorrectly credited to the above, closed account.

Since April 18th 2010 I have been calling Monument to try and reclaim this money.

First, they claimed a cheque had been sent to an old address. As I have no access to the property I was living in in March 2009, I gave them a new address. It took weeks of phone calls before it was confirmed a new cheque had been sent to the correct address.

This was received and paid in on June 8th. The cheque subsequently bounced.

Despite five more phone calls to Monument, no one has got back to me to advise on how they plan to proceed. Each time they say ‘they’ll arrange a call back’, yet no one calls back.

Ironically, I bank with Barclays, who own Monument – as the bounced cheque left me far over my overdraft limit, they then transferred money from my savings into my main account without permission. This has left me with no money to live on.

I am at a loss of what to do next.

I am currently not working and on ESA, however those payments will also go into my Barclays account and I will be unable to access them. I therefore have nothing to live on, no means of paying rent or buying food.

I'm at the end of my tether, if anyone could help, that would be fab!

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    I am writing to bring to your attention the appalling customer service I have received from Monument in the past 18 months.

I paid off and closed my account in March 2009 and entered a dispute process via Ashworth Law with reference to unreasonable fees and unwanted PPI. I received notification from Ashworth Law in mid-April 2010 that Monument had settled to the amount of £2,444.02.

This was incorrectly credited to the above, closed account.

Since April 18th 2010 I have been calling Monument to try and reclaim this money.

First, they claimed a cheque had been sent to an old address. As I have no access to the property I was living in in March 2009, I gave them a new address. It took weeks of phone calls before it was confirmed a new cheque had been sent to the correct address.

This was received and paid in on June 8th. The cheque subsequently bounced.

Despite five more phone calls to Monument, no one has got back to me to advise on how they plan to proceed. Each time they say ‘they’ll arrange a call back’, yet no one calls back.

Ironically, I bank with Barclays, who own Monument – as the bounced cheque left me far over my overdraft limit, they then transferred money from my savings into my main account without permission. This has left me with no money to live on.

I am at a loss of what to do next.

I am currently not working and on ESA, however those payments will also go into my Barclays account and I will be unable to access them. I therefore have nothing to live on, no means of paying rent or buying food.

I'm at the end of my tether, if anyone could help, that would be fab!

Hi there

That is bad indeed.

I think maybe Dunstonh will be able to help with this one and/or Magpiecottage, who will hopefully will along at some point today or later on.

I'm not surprised your at the end of your tether.

You could take them to the Financial ombudsman service (FOS) as well and if you do I would also claim for further compensation for distress and inconvenience.

I would see what they have to say on here first though, maybe they will have some good advice for you.

Wishing you luck.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • trixiefire77
    Options
    Thank you for getting back to me - it means a lot to have support from fellow MSE-rs!

I've had some progress today, managed to get through to someone fairly sensible at Monument and convinced Barclays to extend my overdraft until July 7.

However Barclays have stopped my debit card, so, even with an overdraft extension, I can't get any money out til this is resolved. All payments going into my main account will be untouchable and I can't pay any bills.

Once this is sorted, I'm considering closing my account and just keeping money under a mattress - it'll be cheaper!
  • di3004
    Options
    Hi

Your most welcome.;)

I do hope all this gets resolved for you very soon.

You must be feeling very stressed - bless you.
  • dec22
    dec22 Posts: 242 Forumite
    Options
    Di is normally quite good at getting the name of the the CEO who you could e-mail and complain. I think Barclaycard sold Monument to R.Raphael & sons PLC a few years back - check internet but as far as I know this is the case. Have you tried going to the Citizens Advice Bureau as this is really quite poor behaviour. I wonder if they cancelled your new cheque in error but they need to sort it out asap so I would insist on on a BACS payment direct to your bank account. You also want to send them an invoice for bank charges and compnesation for stress. I would also ring the FOS for advice.

Hopefully you get this resolved quickly. Good luck!!
  • di3004
    Options
    Chief Exective Officer (CEO)

[EMAIL="john.varley@barclays.com"]john.varley@barclays.com[/EMAIL]

www.barclays.co.uk

Email the CEO, good luck.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories