problem with npower!!

Options
hi...can someone give me some advice please??

around november last year i had a salesman come round from npower asking me to switch.....i did in the end coz he kept me at the door for about half an hour! he did all the contract thingy on a laptop and told me i had 30 days to cancel...

so the next day i phoned them up and explained to them i didn't really want to change and can i cancel my contract, the woman told me coz it was done on a laptop i would have to wait a few days and try again.

later on that day i got a phonecall "supposedly" from npower, a basic welcome courtesy call, i explaind to him that i wanted to cancel my account and he said he would do it there and then, so there was me thinking, all sorted!

how wrong was i!! i got a letter about a week later saying welcome to npower blah blah, i phoned them up and said no i canceled my account, and surprise surprise, they had no account of anybody calling me up on that day.

basically to cut a long story short, i got in contact with british gas and i am back with them......and i am now getting chased by npower for a "final bill" of £44!!!!!!!!

i've told them i'm not paying it as i didn't want to be with them in the 1st place, plus i didn't use the gas card they sent me...oh they didn't even send out an electric key!! anyway as i was saying i kept using my british gas card and key.......now as i am on pay as you go meters, am i right in thinking that they should know that i wasn't using their card, as when you first use one that is it registering?

anyway, am in the right by standing my ground by not paying them as they were the ones that mucked up in the 1st place by letting me believe that my contract was cancelled?

any advice would be most helpful

thanks

Comments

• DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    It is the meters. You need to pay for the gap between your last bill with the old supplier before NP and your first bill with the new supplier after NP. Waht are the meter readings on these bills?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    scoob77 wrote: »
    hi...can someone give me some advice please??

around november last year i had a salesman come round from npower asking me to switch.....i did in the end ...

so the next day i phoned them up and explained to them i didn't really want to change and can i cancel my contract, ...

later on that day i got a phonecall "supposedly" from npower,... i explaind to him that i wanted to cancel my account and he said he would do it there and then, so there was me thinking, all sorted!

how wrong was i!! i got a letter about a week later saying welcome to npower blah blah, i phoned them up and said no i canceled my account, and surprise surprise, they had no account of anybody calling me up on that day....

When you got that letter, you would have been informed of your right to cancel (which by the sounds of your phone call, you effectively wanted notwithstanding the fact you believed you already had cancelled)

The welcome to nPower letter wasn't confirming the actual switch had occurred because the timeframes you quote wouldn't allow that. The supplier would take at least 4 weeks to switch you.

So you would have been sent further correspondence (a) giving you an actual switch date and requesting a meter reading on that date and (b) probably another one later confirming the switch had successfully occurred.
    Of course, you should also have contacted the supplier to give the meter reading as requested.

All this, back in November/December, should have alerted you to the fact something was going wrong and that is when you should have invoked the Erroneous Transfer Customer Charter , preferably by having contacted your existing supplier (although you could have contacted nPower to do so).

Now that 6 months has passed, I'm not sure you'll get much sympathy as it could be considered that you've simply changed your mind after the switch which you originally approved had taken place.

As DVardysShadow says, you'll probably now need to pay for the consumption recorded for the period that nPower were your supplier.
    (and to be honest, the difference in cost, if any, between the 2 suppliers for such a short period of time, probably isn't worth wasting too much time & effort over)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • SwanJon
    SwanJon Posts: 2,333 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Scoob, even though you carried on using the BG Card/Key, if the contract wasn't cancelled the industry will see nPower as your supplier.
    Payments should have been redirected to them. If not, they can claim them back off BG - this is not your job it is theirs.
    If the payemnts have gone to BG they are known as Misdirected Payments - tell nP to collect them from BG, threaten to take them to the enegy ombudsman for their mishandling of the situation, they have 8 weeks to accept before you go to the ombudsman who I'm fairly sure will see it your way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure