Anyone else in this situation?

Options
Im thinking forward to the future (when I will be debt free) and although I have just under £10k of manageable debt I want to get rid of it as soon as possible. As I have mentioned on here a million times (sorry!) my OH is in a considerably larger amount of debt, and is still pre-LB.

I cant help thinking about what will happen when I am debt free and want to do all the things I dream of doing now - like decorating our house, saving up for a lovely holiday etc, but feel a bit odd about it, it seems when I am DF, we still wont be able to do any of these things because he won't be DF.

Although if I said to him "lets go on hols 2moro" he would quite happily credit card it. I dont think I could allow myself to let him get in more debt.

I know this is all a way off for me at the moment but I cant help thinking about it!!

Is anyone else in the situation where their OH's debt holds them back from what they want to do, and how do you handle this.

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Well by the time I am DF my other half won't be... but his DF date will be a lot sooner because I will be able to contribute larger chunks to paying bills and he can then put more into paying off his debts.
    Then there is a wedding to save for (Actually my Dad has already offered to pay for my wedding - but I want to pay some of it my self at least :) Even though I know I'm his only daughter that he'll be able to do the "Dad" thing for and give me a wedding) and the honeymoon.

My OH would put a holiday on the cards without blinking too and this year I have actually managed to talk him out of going abroad on holiday! If we DO go away then at the most it'll probably be a long weekend somewhere MSE style or something because I will NOT spend £500 each on something that I know we just can't afford right now... When I am DF I'll save up for the holidays and treat us both I think :)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I feel for you hun as this seem to be so very :wall:

I think I had a milder version with my beloved.

We had a big talk about it and the upshot was

Option 1 - i spend my money on myself and tough to him
    Option 2- I pay for all the luxuries
    Option 3- he gets his rump into gear

My OH is proactive but pretty broke, and he isnt really getting into more debt, but not really getting out (impossible at the mo with him still temping etc) and I just put it to him sweetly, well its oK i can pay for the wedding etc he was like NO WAY
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills