my name is sillybilly and i am a debtaholic.....

Options
sillybillyme
sillybillyme Posts: 172 Forumite
edited 15 June 2010 at 11:34AM in Debt free diaries
hi all i have tried to keep a diary of my debt before but always fallen off the wagon so here goes with 3rd time lucky!!!! :eek:

about christmas time my total debt stood around £8500 :( but i have struggled and made myself go without thing i want rather than need so i can become debt free and give my boys the life and holidays etc they deserve.

my eldest boy is 6 and my youngest 4 and starting school in september which gives me the perfect reason to get back to work.

i am currently on income support :eek: (please dont shoot me down in flames) after being made redundant in february. i am a single mum so whilst looking for work i have made a claim to income support. i am hoping by the time september comes around i will have a job ready for me and i can get back to work again.

my debt has got a lot better as i paid some off with some of my redundancy pay.

my debt is as follows

hsbc cc: £603.50 21.9%apr
asda cc:£1146.56 19.9%apr
choice catalogue: £90.25
total: £1840.31

i have paid the mimimum balances for this month but im struggling to put a real dent in getting my debt to £0.00. im hoping i can keep this diary to write down the positive things i do like NSD or making extra payments etc.
im trying to get my food shopping bill down too so if anyone has any ideas on how to do that or anything moneysaving they will be greatfully recieved!!! :D

i know my debt is not much compared to others and i dont want to come across like i am in deep trouble but i really hate having any debt and i am really struggling to pay the debt off whilst still trying to give my kids the things they deserve.
thankyou xxx :j
I love to give homemade gifts. Which one of
my kids do you want?

Comments

• mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Wow well done to you paying over £6500 since Christmas thats fantastic!!
    A real inspiriation to me who has double that to pay but this shows me it is so do-able!!

Well done, keep up the hard work x
    Mummytogirls x

• sillybillyme
    Options
    thankyou mummytogirls, my redundancy pay done most of the hard work but i am glad i put it towards my debt rather then blowing it which i would of done a year ago!!! :D

xxx
    my kids do you want?
  • sillybillyme
    Options
    i have just got back from town as ds1 desperatly needs a new pair of trainers, managed to get a pair reduced from £32.00 to £7.99 so really pleased as i was dreading spending loads!! :j

did not spend any more money so really pleased with myself!! !:T

xxx
    my kids do you want?
  • Determined_2b_Debt_Free
    Options
    :wave:

Good luck with your journey! And well done for clearing a massive chunk with the redundancy pay - must have been a good but difficult decision.
    x
    Me, DH and DD (17 months) clearing our debt for a better future. Then (LBM) = £21,636.43 (Oct 2009) Now = £12128.07 (44%)
    GOALS/CHALLENGES
    Try to get credit card to £2k by April 2012 (was £3014.94)
    PADing to clear CC 1/1/12 TOTAL: £32.00
    Ditch 100 in January challenge: lost count but way over 100!!!/100
  • sillybillyme
    Options
    thankyou determined, i did want to just go on a spending spree or book a holiday for me and the kids as i was feeling down but luckily i didnt as i would of been in even more trouble by now!!

took ds2 up to school this afternoon to look around his new classroom we saw ds1 in his class so that was nice.

my money saving today

bought pull ups from lidls rather than asda saving me £3.24 a pack!:j

made lasagne for tea tonight with bits from the cupboard and fridge i already had.

walked up the pre school to pick ds2 up, saving me petrol.

posted fathers day card with a stamp i found in the back of my drawer!!!

better go ds2 is falling asleep whilst watching cbeebies so better wake him up as we have got to go to the school to pick up ds1 when "come outside" finishes!!! :D

xxx
    my kids do you want?
  • sillybillyme
    edited 29 June 2010 at 1:52PM
    Options
    oh my god i am sooooo rubbish at this diary lark!!! really need to sort myself out!! :D

i have just recieved my 2 credit card bills in the post and paid the minimum off straight away so now whatever i pay will be a little bonus!!! :o

im trying to get a credit card with 0% balance transfers but as im not currently working they wont accept me!!! :mad:

total debt this month:

HSBC: £593.28
    ASDA: £1125.66
    Choice: £51.96

Total Debt: £1770.09
    my kids do you want?
  • saorsie
    saorsie Posts: 1,905 Forumite
    Options
    Well rather than considering you to be 'rubbish' sillybilly - you have actually inspired me to dig out my diary that I started with the best of intentions and then let go!

Well done on the debt-busting, those figures are coming down slowly but surely :j

-s-
    Frugal living challenge 2012 live on £8500 ~ £7725.87 remaining
    Make £5/day in 2012 ~ £482.24/£1830 ~ 22.52%
    Proud Member of PAD since January 2010 ~ Total paid to date £11386.64
    Savings Pot for 2012 ~ £772.60/£3000 ~ 23.38%
    Lose 19lbs / Save £2k by 30/04/12 *5/19lbs* £158.72/£2000
  • crapwithcash82
    crapwithcash82 Posts: 1,043 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Sillybillyme, when you said that this was your third diary, you reminded me of myself - I'm now on to my third, and hopefully final (!!) debt free wannabe diary!!

You're figures are looking fab and I'm sure you'll be debt free before you know it. Do you ebay much? I use ebay all the time and sell lots of things on there, it can sometimes surprise you how much people will pay for the most random things!

Will pop back and see how you are getting on - but just wanted to say good luck on your journey!
  • mrsmayblossom
    mrsmayblossom Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 29 June 2010 at 8:40PM
    Options
    It's great to see someone else in the same position - aiming to be debt free. My OH and I are working hard to sort out our finances and pay off £6700 of credit cards and £1500 overdraft. I look forward to following you! Good luck:rotfl:
  • sillybillyme
    Options
    hi all and thanks for your replies :beer:

i dont ebay at all but maybe i should!! :) i dont actually think i have anything to sell that people would want but might be worth a try i guess so thanks for the idea!! :D

well today i have stayed in to stop me spending!!
    i have just recieved my proof of no claims from my old insurance company. my insurance ran out last month so i shopped around and managed to save myself £109!!! :T

just got to send the proof of no claims off to direct line now so will post that when i do the school run.

have not paid any debt today but i did transfer £5.00 into each ds saving account so now they have £50.00 each. saving for when they are older and want to start driving lessons but the rate im going they will only get about three lessons each!!! :rotfl:

xxxx
    my kids do you want?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills