Can Scottish Power charge me £50 for moving?

Options
My bills with scottish power were getting higher so I shopped around and found a cheaper supplier.
I followed the instructions given by my new supplier and supplied my meter readings, but now I have received really high bills from Scottish Power - the reading dont match the ones I gave and they are also trying to charge me £50 cancellation.
This is so unfair - are they allowed to do this? Its terrible!
I have phoned them several times but I'm using my mobile and they keep cutting me off so its costing me a fortune.
Can anyone advise me please?

Comments

• zorber
    zorber Posts: 1,107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bazzamac wrote: »
    My bills with scottish power were getting higher so I shopped around and found a cheaper supplier.
    I followed the instructions given by my new supplier and supplied my meter readings, but now I have received really high bills from Scottish Power - the reading dont match the ones I gave and they are also trying to charge me £50 cancellation.
    This is so unfair - are they allowed to do this? Its terrible!
    I have phoned them several times but I'm using my mobile and they keep cutting me off so its costing me a fortune.

All depends on your contractwith them, also depends on when you started with them, eg 9 months ago on their standard rate they introduced a £30 penalty if you moved in the first 12 months.

I always use quidco and can mitigate the penalty by recieving cash back
    "Save the cheerleader - Save the world"
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You have not said which tariff you were on with SP, some of them do charge an early leaving fee. For example I have just moved to them and am tied in until July 2011 with a fee if I leave early.
    As to the meter readings, the reading on the final SP bill should be the same as the opening one on your new provider. Ring your new provider to check which opening readings they have and if different from the SP ones then they should sort it as they are the ones who should have told SP the readings to use.
  • milgo
    milgo Posts: 298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    When you call them use this number taken from saynoto0870 0141 568 6109....sorry that's if your mobile has inclusive minutes.
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    edited 15 June 2010 at 8:44AM
    Options
    Hi bazzamac

We do offer a number of non-standard tariff which do have a cancellation charge. These tariffs include Discounted Energy, Online Energy Saver and Capped. Check the terms and conditions of the tariff you were being billed on. I have provided a link below to our tariff information on our website:

http://www.scottishpower.co.uk/your-home/existing-customer/energy-products.aspx

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bazzamac wrote: »
    ...I have phoned them several times but I'm using my mobile and they keep cutting me off so its costing me a fortune.
    Use a landline, it'll be cheaper, especially if used in conjunction with a freephone number available from saynoto0870
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure