Car Hire and Credit Cards

Options
Does anyone know a car hire company that doesn't require you to have a credit card? I need to visit my elderly parents, but my old banger might not make the 800 mile round trip! I have the money, using my debit card, but I got rid of my credit cards last year (I'm a Debt-Free Wannabe!). Do all car hire companies penalise those who don't have credit cards?

Comments

• rdwarr
    rdwarr Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Options
    Small local firms will be the best bet. Large companies can afford to exclude non-CC customers but smaller firms should still welcome your business. You may need to pay a deposit though.
    Can I help?
  • janinem1974
    janinem1974 Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    carolrhart wrote: »
    Does anyone know a car hire company that doesn't require you to have a credit card? I need to visit my elderly parents, but my old banger might not make the 800 mile round trip! I have the money, using my debit card, but I got rid of my credit cards last year (I'm a Debt-Free Wannabe!). Do all car hire companies penalise those who don't have credit cards?

ring carjet and explain to them - they will find which hire firms accept DEBIT CARDS.

FROM AVIS SPAIN T&C

PAYING FOR YOUR RENTAL:
    The cost of the rental can be charged to an Avis account or any of the leading credit cards accepted by Avis. If other methods of payment are used, a cash deposit for the approximate cost of the rental plus an additional 20% must be paid upfront.
    Cash rentals are only valid for car groups A to H and are subject to the final approval by the Avis rental office. If the information required is not presented by the customer or is insufficient, we reserve the right to decline the rental
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure