Switching gas supplier whinge

Options
naked
naked Posts: 107 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
:)
I switched my gas from British Gas in April to Scottish Power, then back to British Gas in May. My gas meter was prepayment at the time.

I never received a final bill/statement from British Gas (I've asked for one).
Scottish Power sent me a 'final bill' saying I owed them £7.50. They then sent another saying that I owed them £5.50 now they had a final reading from British Gas.

£5.50 is about 10% of what I ever topped up when with Scottish Power and seems too high to be due to the meter being inaccurate.

British Gas have told me (on the phone) that I can ignore this and they will sort it out with Scottish Power.
Scottish Power keep sending me letters saying the amount needs paying immediately as it is overdue.

I sent Scottish Power an email telling them what British Gas have told me.
I also sent British Gas an email to ask why Scottish Power are chasing me when they said they would sort it out.

Scottish Power tried to ring me today but I got no answer when I tried ringing this evening so I will try again tomorrow.

Is this normal when switching with prepayment?

I can understand it with credit accounts as you pay 1 person up to a certain reading then someone else afterwards , but with prepayment you've paid someone in advance for everything.
If I've not paid Scottish Power enough, that should mean I've overpaid British Gas by roughly the same amount give or take the different in unit rates which isn't that much.

Can't wait for the same fun again when they send me a final electric bill...

Comments

• Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi naked

You are right to expect a final bill showing a zero balance from ScottishPower if you have been paying by prepayment. The outstanding balance may be a result of:

1. Start reading on your account being inaccurate.
    2. Final meter reading being inaccurate for the specific transfer day.
    3. A recent payment not yet showing on your account.
    4. Prepayment meter collecting on the wrong tariff.

If you have contacted us regarding this then our prepayment team will be able to provide you with answers and resolve this for you without further delay. If you want me to look into this for you then just send me your details and I'll confirm what has happened.

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • naked
    naked Posts: 107 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers (again) Colin.

John has got back to me and has confirmed what I thought, and what you have said.

British Gas seem to think there is a problem with the meter readings which they are checking so the ball is in their court at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure