I love my dad!!!

Options
Well some of you might know that my dad offered to pay my debt off for me a little while ago and I said thanks dad but it's my mess and I need to sort it out... Well... This month car need MOT, new exhaust and a few minor bits - add to that a new carpet (well laminate floor) that we in fairness only have to pay £250ish towards and you have one seriously messed up budget for the month... I was looking at the figures and adding and subtracting and there was no way round this other than going into my overdraft... OR calling my dad (or nan).
So I called. They always say to call if I am ever short of money so for the first time in years I picked up the phone for a purpose other than saying hello...
All I needed was £250 to make sure I could keep the whole budget under control with some serious meal planning etc and dad, bless him, said "ofcourse, don't worry about paying it back, you never ask for anything and it's not like it's easy to treat you when you're over in the UK (my family all live in Denmark) so I don't want you to pay it back. I'm going to send 5000dkr if there is any left over you can spend it on what you want" That's about £450 :)

So now all my budgets are well within their limits again, I'll meal plan and do a store cupboard challenge this month anyway as I'm totally geared up for it and any extra money I'll put towards paying another chunk off my debt :)

Just wanted to share how great a dad I have!!! :)
DFW Nerd #025
DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey

Comments

• Spirited_2
    Spirited_2 Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, that's generous of him and it will stop you being thrown off track. I have a lot of respect for your desire to stand on your own feet though, and just look forward to that day (after you are debt free) where you have your own 'rainy day' stash to cover the 'surprise' expenses.

Hooray to wonderful parents!
    I believe the struggle for financial freedom is unfair
    I believe the only ones who disagree are millionaires.
    Affirmation. Savage Garden.
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Spirited :)

Well I'm firmly of the view that this is MY mess and therefore I should be cleaning this up. In the past I would have just put it on a card or overdraft and then worried and worried and worried... This time I figured that well it's a one off... I felt terrible calling asking for a loan and could have cried when dad said "keep it, I don't need it back" :) I know I won't make a habit of calling for money because I WANT to pay it back myself :) I could call my nan any day and she would pay the whole lot off for me too but again... What would that prove to myself other than I can't even sort my own mess out? :) Don't get me wrong if all the grand kids get £1000 again at christmas (she'd give us all more but the tax laws are tricky in Denmark... over £1000 for grand children and you'd have to pay gift tax etc your kids can have up to £10k a year) then it'll certainly be welcome! But it'll not feature in my budgets and so would be a windfall if I DID get it if that makes sense :)

I'm just so glad I called my dad on this occasion - I needed help and for once I was not too embaressed to ask for it :) Maybe because I am feeling so proud of what I have already paid back and I know it's not money I have frittered away but genuinly because I haven't had a chance to save up enough for these occasions yet :)
    DFW Nerd #025

• Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You're right, you have a great and generous dad. You clearly have an open and close relationship with your family which makes you doubly fortunate!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • MrsTinks
    Options
    I guess it does Verbatim :)
    Just happy that I've been able to turn to my dad for help this time when I have felt I really needed to and have never been tempted to do so for silly things :) Made it a little easier to ask for help now that I really needed it :) Although some might argue that I should have asked before but to be honest I would have frittered the money and this time it's only because so many things all happened at once... Carpet needed to be done (insurance jobbie) and we're replacing it with Laminate which will be easier to keep clean with the dog :) (vs cream carpet :eeek:) and then the car needed an exhaust and some bits for its MOT and suddenly my perfect spreadsheet came tumbling down :)

Any money left over at the end of the month will be used to pay off more of my loan and maybe a little extra put into my savings account in case of another unknown disaster like this :)
    DFW Nerd #025

• kathfisch
    kathfisch Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Options
    well done to you for using any extra to pay off debts, rather than spend on something unnecessary!
    Don't stress, relax, let life roll off your backs. Except for death and paying taxes, everything in life is only for now... Avenue Q
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 003 :DProud to have become debt free... and striving to keep it that way
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hey tine

I'd just like to congratulate you on your wonderful family! :T What a lovely post to read! Also, congratulations on wanting to stnad on your own two feet but aknowledging when you need help and not beeing too proud to ask for it.

Well done hun :T
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    You've certainly got to be congratulated on your self-control for not asking your Dad to bail you out of your debts, your humility for asking for help when you did need it, and your futher self-control for not blowing the excess money.

However, one thing did lead to concern.
    tine wrote:
    we're replacing it with Laminate which will be easier to keep clean with the dog

This is money saving gone too far. Buy a broom - like everyone else.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • lazy&indebt
    Options
    ZTD wrote:
    This is money saving gone too far. Buy a broom - like everyone else.

:D you silly sausage!! That made me laugh
    Was debt free... then went travelling!
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    how lucky you are to have such a wonderful family,-my mam and dad have tried to help me where they can as when i was in a position to help i helped them but they are also struggling so it is tough, but that's what family are for-not just money obv! but to help when the going gets tough!
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • MrsTinks
    Options
    Using the dog to sweep the floor... hmmmm I'd never thought of that... now what if I create a contraption where I attach the broom to the back of the dog and then release one of the cats in the room and quickly close the door... would certainly enable me to have a clutter free home one way or another... :rotfl:

Of course the cats might decide to leave home if I did that and thus save me on cat food ;) (JOKING)

Cattie I too have helped my dad out in the past with money when things were tight and he paid me back when he had the money - still didn't make it any easier asking for help :)
    DFW Nerd #025

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport