We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

redundancy, JSA etc help required please

Options
Hi,

I am being made redundant and my last day in the office is 30th June and then I will be on 3 months garden leave.

Can i claim my contributions-based JSA from 1st July or do I have to wait for my garden leave to end?

Also can you get prescriptions free when you are claiming JSA?
what about NHS dentistry - will i get that free?

anything else you can think of that could help??
MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years :j

Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing

Comments

• markandkate
    markandkate Posts: 846 Forumite
    Options
    Hi firstly you cannot claim any benefit for a period when you have received wages as you are technically still employed and or being paid for a period of time. Garden leave means that you are still receiving wages every month but not required to work. If you have been paid pay inlieu of notice you cannot claim until the pay period has expired. If you are paid accrued holiday pay as a lump sum this also counts as wages and this period also has to expire before you can claim.

You are only automatically entitled to free prescriptions etc if you are on income based JSA or Income Support. You may still qualify for some helpbut you will need to apply as it is not automatic
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Hi firstly you cannot claim any benefit for a period when you have received wages as you are technically still employed and or being paid for a period of time. Garden leave means that you are still receiving wages every month but not required to work. If you have been paid pay inlieu of notice you cannot claim until the pay period has expired. If you are paid accrued holiday pay as a lump sum this also counts as wages and this period also has to expire before you can claim.

You are only automatically entitled to free prescriptions etc if you are on income based JSA or Income Support. You may still qualify for some help but you will need to apply as it is not automatic

Contributions JSA kick in as soon as you are terminated no matter how much PILON(inc outstanding holidays) you get.(it used to be that you hasd to wait but that changed ages ago)

If on garden leave then you are still under contract so probably cannot get other employment unless the contract allows, any new job would also need to know you have other comitments(they can call you back at any time while on GL.).

Ask for PILON. so you are terminated and can claim JSA and can start a job if you find one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport