Trying to fit home energy monitor

Options
Soubrette
Soubrette Posts: 4,118 Forumite
Not sure if this should be here or in DIY section :)

As above, I'm trying to fit the home energy monitor which was free from npower. In the diagram you fit the sensor (yes I've fallen at the first hurdle :() to the plastic wire on the far right end of the electricity cables. The diagram shows 4 nicely spaced cables.

My cables are squashed and hooked and forced in there so there is no room to fit the device to it.

Can I muck around with these cables so they lie a bit straighter or should I leave well alone?

Ta

Sou

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can you fit the sensor further along the cable run where there is a bit more space? It can go anywhere between the meter and the service head. Don't start tugging on your meter tails as they are not very flexible!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not just read the meter ? It's much more accurate.
  • Soubrette
    Options
    Thank you so much for that macman - I've managed to get it working.

Although npower do have a 2 step tariff based on usage and I'm definitely not on economy seven so I've put in the more expensive one.

Moonrakerz - its just an additional tool and I'm going to see how it works (I'm hoping to persuade the hubby to stop having the flat screen tv on as background noise *rolleyes*). Our meter is outside and has a shonky door (had to use a hammer to sort it out this time) so hopefully this will be more 'in your face' and convenient to use than just meter readings.

Sou
  • moonrakerz
    Options
    Soubrette wrote: »
    (I'm hoping to persuade the hubby to stop having the flat screen tv on as background noise *rolleyes*)

You don't need one of these things for the TV - my TV handbook, and the plate on the TV, tell me that my TV uses 385W. At 12p per kWh, that is about 4.5p per hour - easy !
  • Soubrette
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    You don't need one of these things for the TV - my TV handbook, and the plate on the TV, tell me that my TV uses 385W. At 12p per kWh, that is about 4.5p per hour - easy !

Yep, I could look up the manual for every one of my electronics :)

I'm going to see how this thing goes though ;)

Sou
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is one tariff significantly higher than the other?

Do you not pay a standing charge on your eleci.
  • Mankysteve
    Mankysteve Posts: 4,257 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    moonrakerz wrote: »
    You appliances will never use there quoted rates. The measurement are under specific operating conditions, but those meter are toys really they give you an idea but there not that accurate.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Mankysteve wrote: »
    Is one tariff significantly higher than the other?

Do you not pay a standing charge on your eleci.

If you are calculating the cost of running an appliance it is irrelevant if you have a standing charge or 2 tier tariff. The only price to use is the cheaper tier 2 price and not the average price.

If you have a daily standing charge you pay that anyway even if you use no electricity.

Take the case of a 2 tier tariff where, say, Tier 1 is 20p/kWh and Tier2 is 10p/kwh.

Tier 1 is 'only' charged for 225kWh a quarter(125kWh for BG). Now you will exceed that amount for unadvoidable consumption - fridge, lights etc. So if your TV uses say 150Watts turning it off for an hour saves 1.5pence. i.e. 15% of 10p.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Some devices tell lies, I have bought some items and the figures are way out.

Worst one was a waterpump 75w it stated on the box 148w in use. Extra £73 a year to run approx.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• moonrakerz
    Options
    Some devices tell lies,
    Some don't - they are all very inaccurate at low power readings

Worst one was a waterpump 75w it stated on the box 148w in use. Extra £73 a year to run approx.

Why have you got a water pump running all the time ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure