Barclaycard PPI question

Options
smduffin
smduffin Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 13 June 2010 at 7:59AM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Would like some advice please. I have a barclaycard intitial visa since november 2007. I aplied online for this card. My limit was increased from £250 to £1000 since I have had the card. I was made redundant from my job last year, and have been on jobseekers allowance. However I have never gone over my limit and a direct debit which takes the minimum amount off the card each month.

By chance I looked at my online statement today and saw that my I had gone over my limit, despite the miniumum payment having been made. I was charged £12 for this. I called barclaycard to find out why. The reason was that the minium payment does not cover PPI which last month was £5.70. So with this charge I went over the limit by £2, and then got charged £12 on top. I wasnt aware that my minimum payment didint cover PPI payments, or that these have been added to my account every month.

I took out the card online and probably ticked or didnt notice the box about PPI.

Barclaycard advisor said I could either stop the PPI payments, or make a claim as I am now unemployed. They refunded the £12 charge but this will not show up untill my next statement and it will show on my credit rating that I went over my limit.

Question 1: - Can I claim back all those PPI payments which I did'nt even realise were not covered by my minium payment? I set the direct debit up via telephone to ensure that I never went over my limit or missed a payment, and was made sure to ask that this would cover it, but was not informed that the minimum payment would not pay for the PPI.

Question 2: Can I backdate a claim on my PPI since the date I lost my job, which was January 2009. This was a contract job via an agency but there was no end date on the contract. All contract staff in my department were made redundant.

Am also a bit !!!!ed off as I have really been struggling for the past year, but have always made my mininium payments and never went over my limit with the exception of this one charge, which was diirectly due to the PPI payment.

Advice welcome please

Sarah

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    smduffin wrote: »
    Would like some advice please. I have a barclaycard intitial visa since november 2007. I aplied online for this card. My limit was increased from £250 to £1000 since I have had the card. I was made redundant from my job last year, and have been on jobseekers allowance. However I have never gone over my limit and a direct debit which takes the minimum amount off the card each month.

By chance I looked at my online statement today and saw that my I had gone over my limit, despite the miniumum payment having been made. I was charged £12 for this. I called barclaycard to find out why. The reason was that the minium payment does not cover PPI which last month was £5.70. So with this charge I went over the limit by £2, and then got charged £12 on top. I wasnt aware that my minimum payment didint cover PPI payments, or that these have been added to my account every month.

I took out the card online and probably ticked or didnt notice the box about PPI.

Barclaycard advisor said I could either stop the PPI payments, or make a claim as I am now unemployed. They refunded the £12 charge but this will not show up untill my next statement and it will show on my credit rating that I went over my limit.

Question 1: - Can I claim back all those PPI payments which I did'nt even realise were not covered by my minium payment? I set the direct debit up via telephone to ensure that I never went over my limit or missed a payment, and was made sure to ask that this would cover it, but was not informed that the minimum payment would not pay for the PPI.
    Hi Sarah and welcome.
    As its only now you realised you were paying for the PPI, with your reasons, you can give it a go on reclaiming, as its obvious if you were aware then you would have made a claim when you were made redundant.

Question 2: Can I backdate a claim on my PPI since the date I lost my job, which was January 2009. This was a contract job via an agency but there was no end date on the contract. All contract staff in my department were made redundant.
    I think you can, but I would check the policy details, but it may only cover you for the 12 months (continuous) and it starts back again if started new employment, again though try to get hold of the policy booklet details on this they should supply them if you request them, or check on their website.

Am also a bit !!!!ed off as I have really been struggling for the past year, but have always made my mininium payments and never went over my limit with the exception of this one charge, which was diirectly due to the PPI payment.
    So either way, check out the policy first and maybe someone else will have some advice on this for you too.
    Hope your matters resolve very soon.
    Advice welcome please

Sarah
    If you decide to want to make a reclaim, then complete the FOS questionnaire, these were recently issued by the financial ombudsman service (FOS) for customers use instead of letters, you will find on Stage one of reclaiming on the below link - further down the page, keep copies as well.
    They have 8 weeks in full to respond, post by recorded delivery for your proof of posting.
    If you decide to reclaim on the PPI, then write a letter to enclose with the questionnaire to cancel as well, you may need to keep on at them.
    You need to make them aware, that if you were aware that you were paying for PPI from the start, then obviously you would have tried making a claim.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

Hope this helps, please keep us posted, good luck.

Di
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • smduffin
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for advice - I've called the policy providers and downloaded the form. Its defitiely worth m while claiming for insurance pay-out as they will backdate to the time of my unemployment.

However, hte form has to sections to be filled in, one part by the Job centre regarding claiming of job seekers allowance, and one by my previous employer regarding redundancy.

2 more questions if anyone can help:

1 - While I was in a different job when I took out the card and policy, my last job was a contract job through an agency. It was an open ended contract with no finish date, and thereore I was officially a temporary employee. I've read through the policy doc online and it doesnt specify that you have had to have a permanent , only that you must have been in continuous emplyoyment for over 6 months.

" they ask a question on both parts of the form: has the claimant recieved any payment in liue of notice period. I did receive one weeks payments, but only because the agency had not informed me of my finish date, which was an oversight on their part. Is there some kind of clause that they wont pay out at all over this?

Have tried asking them these questions but they just said to fill in the form and they would assess my claim.

Thanks for any help from anyone who has made a claim for PPI due to unemployment or who might know about this.

Sarah
  • di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    smduffin wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks for advice - I've called the policy providers and downloaded the form. Its defitiely worth m while claiming for insurance pay-out as they will backdate to the time of my unemployment.

However, hte form has to sections to be filled in, one part by the Job centre regarding claiming of job seekers allowance, and one by my previous employer regarding redundancy.

2 more questions if anyone can help:

1 - While I was in a different job when I took out the card and policy, my last job was a contract job through an agency. It was an open ended contract with no finish date, and thereore I was officially a temporary employee. I've read through the policy doc online and it doesnt specify that you have had to have a permanent , only that you must have been in continuous emplyoyment for over 6 months.

" they ask a question on both parts of the form: has the claimant recieved any payment in liue of notice period. I did receive one weeks payments, but only because the agency had not informed me of my finish date, which was an oversight on their part. Is there some kind of clause that they wont pay out at all over this?

Have tried asking them these questions but they just said to fill in the form and they would assess my claim.

Thanks for any help from anyone who has made a claim for PPI due to unemployment or who might know about this.

Sarah

Hi Sarah

Some policies differ from one bank to another, but definately worth checking on.

If this is the case then the protection should pay out, if they have not excluded temps etc, and for just as long the employment was continous that is fine, even such as going from one employment to the other with no break in between - is protected "I think".

You could ring to make sure on this, they will be able to confirm.

And with one weeks payment that is also fine, its only what is owed to you from your employer.;) What you could do is if you can contact your old employer for the final date, tell them you require this for insurance purposes.

And if they don't pay out, then reclaim.:)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • Andy_Boro_2
    Andy_Boro_2 Posts: 163 Forumite
    edited 2 August 2010 at 8:25PM
    Options
    sounds a horrible situation sarah, its worth finding out which option would be best for you,

if you reclaim the ppi, how much would a potential refund be? do you have copies of all your old statements? or it may be financially benefical to claim on the policy for unemployment, it would only cover the monthly payments for the card. Im sure you know how much this is.....

best of luck with which ever option you choose
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport