FOCUS Price match - whats the point *#@&$£!!!!!!!!

Excuse me a moment while I get this off my chest....

In the market for some solid wood bamboo flooring at the moment, been checking out the prices for ages not rushing into anything.....

Noticed yesterday that Wickes have an extra 20% off making it £16.12 per pack from about £20 per pack.

Focus do a "Price Promise" where "if you find the same item locally then they'll match it and beat it by 10% of the difference" Fair enough I thinks, because I also have their home mover card to get another 10% off!

Go into Focus, explain the situation and have to go and get a pack so she can check the price. Then when I get back, she says "its not on special offer is it?" I say "yes it is actually".

She says "Well we can't match the offer price but I can match the normal price" !!!!!!!!!!!!!

So she can take their flooring down to £20 per pack, but why the hell would I accept that when its still £16.12 in Wickes.

What is the point of matching prices if you won't match what it is ACTUALLY on sale for right that seccond in another store!!!!!

And all of that, before she even checked the bar code, I get the feeling that would have badly backfired too when their barcode didn't match.

ITS EXACTLY THE SAME PRODUCT in LOOK, FEEL, SIZE, SMELL. Just because its different packaging, doesn't mean its not the same.....

RANT OVER - sorry!!!

M

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Thats crazy-can you check with anyone else?Cant believe thats right.If it doesnt state that in their terms and conditions-go back.
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,156
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Many places will not price match specil offers ... the company with the offer on will have come to some agreement and supplied the product cheaper. I am guessing Fous, like others, will only price match a normal selling price.

Ivan
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Didnt know that.
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    I have to agree with Ivan here, there is often small print saying that special offers dont count for price matches. Was it the same manufacturer that had manufactured the products in both stores?

On the focus website it says:
    We are determined to bring you the best possible price day in day out. If you find the same product offered at a lower price locally, let us know and we'll beat that price by a further 10% of the difference - even up to 14 days after your purchase. Receipt required as proof of purchase.

The product must be identical i.e, dimensions, power and performance. Value packs must be identical in configuration, manufacturer must be the same. Also excludes products and packages only advertised in store.
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ivan is correct, they said they would only match the "normal selling price".

Fair enough, but whats the point then, why would I bother going to them to match the "normal price" when I can get the "special offer" price at Wickes?!?!

And no the packs weren't the same brand because the Wickes one was their own brand. I'm sure it was just a rebadged version the same as Focus though because all the measurements and everything else was the same!!!

M
  • hjb123
    hjb123 Posts: 32,002 Forumite
    I can see your frustration! You would have thought they would have given good customer service and price matched it for you - its not like it would dent their profits!
    Weight Loss - 102lb
  • in that instance the price match was against a sale offer price, but had u seen a member of the management team and asked you prob would have got the match. it doesnt matter if its not by the same manufacturer as long as it is comparible quality and qty as there is a ac rating on flooring. you would not have been able to use your discount card aswell as price matching but good try lol.

every retail customer is potentialy worth 5k REMEMBER THAT WHEN YOU SPEAK TO A MANAGER :)
  • In my experience they would not price match with this product because it was Wickes branded - the price match needs to be 'identical product'

And to support what Igottosleep says, you are not able to use your discount card in addition to a price match - they are mutually exclusive!
    It's easier to get forgiveness than to ask permission ;)
  • i would honour a price match on a comparible product as would many of my coleagues.

remember this is an awfull time for diy retail and we are all trying to keep our market share. if you are reasonable when you speak to a manager you will prob get it. But be nasty to me an ill kick ya out he he :)
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    When people say "price match" do they mean "we'll beat that price by a further 10% of the difference" or just simply match exactly?!?!

Because if they match exactly then I might as well save the hassle anyway and get from Wickes.

If they will knock the 10% of the diff off too though, even without my 10% house movers card, will still make it £6 cheaper for the 16 packs!!!

Might give their CS a ring tomorrow and see what the score is!!

M
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport