Mr Snugs Cat Kennel - Anyone got one, what are they like?

Options
Hi all :D

Has anyone got one of these and would you recommend one? They sound good but I haven't seen one in a shop to have a look at.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130394003820

Basically we provide shelter for next doors cat ;).......who doesn't really go in her own house much anymore......at the moment when it's cold or wet she sleeps in our very old dog kennel which is a bit tatty :o and taking up way too much room.....so we were thinking of getting her one of these.

They seem quite expensive that one on ebay is the cheapest I have found most of the other places with P&p they are about £37. My main concern is are they solid enough that they wont blow away as we get a lot of wind here :eek: and also will they really keep her dry inside if it's wet and windy? Oh and that the cat will like it too! :rotfl::rotfl:

Thanks!

Comments

• paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    Options
    Our neighbours 3 doors along got hold of a second hand plastic kennel for their cat. Our scamp of a cat decided that he liked the look of it and moved in and wouldn't budge for us or any of the cats it was intended for. When he died the local fox moved into it. The fox made it smell so it was dismantled and the cats it was intended for never did get to sleep in it.

Sorry I can't help you with your question directly but I just wanted to let you know that kennels are very attractive to pets and wildlife, I'm sure it will be well used.
  • xsunnysuex
    xsunnysuex Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Cats are unpredictable creatures. The only way to tell if a cat will like it is to try it. My cat turns her nose up at any kind of cat bed etc. I'm sure if it's cold or rainy, any cat (even mine) would be tempted to use one of these. Even better with a snuggly blanket in it. I have to say it's lovely of you to be willing to spend your money on the welfare of your neighbours cat. How lucky that cat is to have you living next door. As for the wind. I'm sure it will be heavy enough to stay put. But again, only way to find out is to try it. I've looked around, and you're right. They are expensive. They are a bit cheaper here. £17 + £10 p&p. So it is £3 cheaper.
    http://www.kennelsandhutches.co.uk/homes_for_cats/cat_shelters

tinkerremembered.gif
  • chez22
    chez22 Posts: 3,327 Forumite
    Options
    I have got one of these, also purchased for my neighbour's cat that I felt sorry for :rotfl:

I've never seen him use it but my own cats do. It is quite sturdy and provides good shelter but as it isn't particularly heavy it could blow over in a strong wind. You could always put a brick or something else heavy inside it to anchor it down though.

I got mine from Pets At Home but I don't know if they still sell them.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • catlou
    catlou Posts: 679 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    paulwf wrote: »
    Our neighbours 3 doors along got hold of a second hand plastic kennel for their cat. Our scamp of a cat decided that he liked the look of it and moved in and wouldn't budge for us or any of the cats it was intended for.

That's So funny! :D

When he died the local fox moved into it. The fox made it smell so it was dismantled and the cats it was intended for never did get to sleep in it.

Hope that doesn't happen!! :eek:
    chez22 wrote: »
    I have got one of these, also purchased for my neighbour's cat that I felt sorry for :rotfl:

Glad I'm not the only nutter that does these things!!! :D :rotfl:

Thanks everyone for your replies - I'm going to take the plunge and buy one!!

I hadn't come across that website that you suggested xsunnysuex, I will get it from them they are the same company as on ebay but a bit cheaper they told me that they are the actual manufacturers. Have you seen all the colours they come in :p although I'm still going with the original boring dark green one as I want it to be as inconspicuous as possible so defo not a dayglow yellow!
    :rotfl:
  • YorkiePud_3
    YorkiePud_3 Posts: 718 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 9 June 2010 at 6:38PM
    Options
    These are fabulous!!

I bought one for a stray cat who hung around for about a year (before she decided to move indoors with me, that is!!)

It's made of a special stuff which doesn't allow bugs to live inside .. sounds a bit weird but I guarantee you will NOT have to be washing it out to remove any spiders or ants or anything like that!

They are cool in Summer and warm in Winter and although made of a very strong plastic, when the cat is inside it, they can see light through it so they don't feel trapped in.

One thing I did though was to get some of that copper tape gardeners use ... I put it all along the sides, front and back and we've never had slugs in it either so I can say yes, it's expensive but my God it is worth every single penny!

Now my cat is indoors I leave it outside for any passing cat to take shelter in bad weather! I bought from the actual company (got a green one) and have been over the moon with this one. The entrance is angled so the carpet or blanket you put inside doesn't get wet because it doesn't rain into it either!!

Btw I live on a hill and it gets very very windy here. We have gales here when it can just be a bit blowy in town! I put two bricks either side of the Snugs and it has never blown about.
  • catlou
    catlou Posts: 679 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Yorkie Pud! :T

I have just ordered one!

I would have the cat in the house but my dog aggravates her they get on quite well in the garden but he's young and wants to play with her and she's 10+ and because she won't play he sulks and then bullies her when they are in the house :( and she's not that used to dogs.

Saying that she has slept at night most of her life in our old dog kennel so she's happy enough and used to being outside I just hope she likes the new one because as soon as it comes the old dog kennel is going on freecycle!!! :eek: :rotfl:
  • troutman2000
    Options
    hehe, i've just ordered one of these, mind you we have two cats. Two sisters, what do you think the chances are of them playing nice and sharing?

the ebay link had ended but i punched it in too google and these came back, seem alright.

the petexpress.co.uk/?p=2_4&pid=1016090248&gr=Mr%20Snugs%20Outdoor%20Cat%20Kennel
  • mrich536
    Options
    We may need to take in a stray cay and whilst its getting used to the two cats we already have it will need a safe place outside as its only about 6 months old.

Any feedback on how good these kennels are would be greatly appreciated.

Cheapest I have found is £27 with delivery from the website ar kennelsandhutches

Thanks.
  • juliebunny
    juliebunny Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you can build a cat shelter, with bits of old wood, why not give that a try? I've been providing shelter for my neighbours FOUR cats for a few years now. She got one and let it breed then obviously couldn't home the last 3 kittens - poor things have been out day and night since they were kittens.

2 sleep in an old rabbit hutch- hay or straw is the best lining, and carpet is really warm, but I have also cut up an old duvet and blanket for when it gets really cold (you have to make sure it doesn't get damp though) - oh and they get a hot water bottle each at night! I've covered up the mesh with old bits of wood too so it's quite snug.

I bought the first cat a fancy dog kennel and she refused to leave her beaten up old home made box! Luckily one of the other cats has moved into it.

Another thing is the shelter must be off the ground - as high as possible. You could put on bricks maybe. I have the beaten up old box on top of the dog kennel now and she loves it.

I have a zillion of my own cats or would take them in my house. I also have blankets etc in my shed for the cats. I am crazy cat lady from the Simpsons, LOL! :rotfl:
    Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
  • tosker
    tosker Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I have a Mr Snugs behind my shed, with a fence panel over it to provide extra shelter, and to keep the rain off food left in front of it

I keep a Flectabed and fleece blanket in it, and the latest stray cat to use it, only 5 months old, has just gone off to a foster home

these kennels seem to be virtually indestructible, and IMO there is nothing better for a cat who has to - or prefers to - live outside
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure