IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bus lane fine - please help!

Options
Well - my first post and I'm asking for advice! My sister visited Birmingham for the first time recently and had to use her satnav to find her way. As she was driving, she noticed a police officer beckoning her to one side of the road. Thinking there was an incident, she pulled over and was then told she was going to have to pay a fine due to being in a bus lane! :mad: Trying to explain she had followed her satnav and then the officer's direction was no use. Anyway, when she gets home she opens the fine envelope to find that her postcode is wrong and she's been given the wrong ethnic grouping. I think it's worth her appealing but there's no appeal address or number on the documents, so she's going to go to her local police station to find out. What do the wonderful wise folks on here think? Thanks for your help! :)

Comments

• Sandoval
    Sandoval Posts: 903 Forumite
    Options
    MissisP wrote: »
    Well - my first post and I'm asking for advice! My sister visited Birmingham for the first time recently and had to use her satnav to find her way. As she was driving, she noticed a police officer beckoning her to one side of the road. Thinking there was an incident, she pulled over and was then told she was going to have to pay a fine due to being in a bus lane! :mad: Trying to explain she had followed her satnav and then the officer's direction was no use. Anyway, when she gets home she opens the fine envelope to find that her postcode is wrong and she's been given the wrong ethnic grouping. I think it's worth her appealing but there's no appeal address or number on the documents, so she's going to go to her local police station to find out. What do the wonderful wise folks on here think? Thanks for your help! :)

Always a "sister" or "cousin" isn't it!? :D

So the satnav told "her" to drive down a clearly marked bus lane and "she" went ahead and did so, knowing that "she" can not legally drive in a bus lane?

Why did "she" blindly follow an instruction like that with no independent thought of "her" own!?

It's as bad as HGV drivers who drive down footpaths and people who drive their cars into rivers because their satnavs tell them to!

If "she" exercised some common sense then "she" wouldn't have ended up in this situation.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 135,016 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Ignore unhelpful replies like the one above.

So was the ticket issued by the Police or by the Council? It's not clear from your post even though you mention a policeman - as this sort of contravention is normally a Council one.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Sandoval
    Sandoval Posts: 903 Forumite
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Ignore unhelpful replies like the one above.
    Meany! :(:(
  • zartub
    zartub Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    or else knowing the police they will try & fine you for "driving without due care & attention" anything to get there money from the motorist.
  • iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    MissisP wrote: »

Since when was that an excuse?! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I wish they'd ban the damn things. :mad:
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • iamana1ias
    iamana1ias Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    Options
    zartub wrote: »
    or else knowing the police they will try & fine you for "driving without due care & attention" anything to get there money from the motorist.

Nothing to do with money, she was driving without due care and attention!
    I was born too late, into a world that doesn't care
    Oh I wish I was a punk rocker with flowers in my hair
  • MissisP
    MissisP Posts: 9 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2010 at 9:37PM
    Options
    Thanks Coupon-mad. It seems that the police officer who beckoned them over gave them the ticket - I will definitely check. I think that what annoyed her most was that the layby they were pulled into had about three cars in front of them all getting tickets and then another load were pulled in afterwards! Quite what was going on there I'm not sure but I bet the cash registers were ringing! As for the due care and attention, surely following a police officer's instruction indicates paying attention?? I thought it was odd that there was nothing on the envelope or ticket about what to do if you want to appeal. My hubby has had council ones before with details on, but this didn't, hence her planning a trip to the police station. Clearly I need to get more info, but thanks for your help and advice!
  • Coblcris
    Coblcris Posts: 1,862 Forumite
    Options
    Is this an FPN ? If so there is no appeal stage, you either accept the offer on the Notice or let it expire and let the court get involved,
  • RobertoMoir
    RobertoMoir Posts: 3,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    zartub wrote: »

I'd say they'd have a case too if someone was far more interested in what their satnav said than the actual road itself.
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I live in the midlands and when they get bored they do monitor the bus lanes for a day or 2.

Following instructions from a satnav? did it say keep left in the restricted bus lane?
    I think not.

Dont pay the fine & wait for the court date, You are likely to lose unless the road markings or
    signs are not correctly posted.
    If you goto court the fine is likely to be much higher.

Always worth posting a copy of the ticket online & someone may spot something wrong with it.

Wrong postcode & ethnic group? doubtful that will be of any use.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure