PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting away with not paying last months rent?

Options
Hi, Me and my girlfriend are moving in together soon in a rented property in Scotland. Her current landlord has said she will (unfairly) keep her deposit to cover cleaning cost for the flat. My girlfriend is thinking of not paying her last months rent and telling her landlord to keep the deposit instead. I was just wondering would their be any repercussions or consequences of this for example would she not get a reference or would she be blacklisted?

We don’t want to upset anyone just enquiring at the moment, any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, cheers.

Comments

• clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    the LL cannot say that she will keep the deposit until after you have left and after she sees what state the flat is in....

if you do pay your last months rent, and you really should, your only recourse to get the deposit back is to take your landlord to court....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure