PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Shocked at the way my tenant is living!

Options
Hi some help would be much appreciated. I am unsure if the renting rules are different in Scotland than England.

I have just carried out my tenants house inspection, this was a pre arranged inspection. I am shocked to say the least at the way in which my tenant lives, and I am aware that I cannot tell anyone how to live, however, the house was so untidy and filthy that it proved impossible to carry out the inspection fully. I am worried that her deposit will not cover the cost of repairing when she eventually leaves.

The tenant refuses to air the house, by this i mean opening air vents and windows. This has resulted in damp caused by the condensation build up. The carpets were so badly soiled that I asked the tenant to get them shampooed (she has been in property for 2 years).

I was then informed that the grill in the cooker wasn't working, and that it had been like this since Christmas. On checking the grill it was so filthy and the tray looked like it was breading something neither wonder its not working. This is a gas cooker so I will have to get someone out, however, I don't really want to pay for someone to clean it, before they can even check why its not working. Do I have the right to tell her to get it back to way she was given it before I get someone out.

Walls are filthy, wallpaper picked off, kitchen taps broken which she claims is wear and tear, one wall actually has a hole in it.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as how to take this forward.

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Did you record all the issues from this inspection? (If you didn't then you need to go and do a thorough repair inspection and photograph everything that's she's damaged)

Re: mould - get some auto-vents in that heat exchange in each room.

repairs. Charge the tenant for "non wear and tear" - and get it repaired.

Seek legal advice about ending the tenancy.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This the side of letting which gets overlooked. In the excitement of property rental as a business.

As poppysarah says, seek advice and serve notice on the tenant.

As obviously you will lose rental income whilst mainteance is carried out to the property prior to letting again.
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    Options
    Serve her a notice to quit as soon as you possibly can

i am having a cooker repaired this week and the firm would not come out to fix it until it was cleaned...
  • Jowo_2
    Jowo_2 Posts: 8,308 Forumite
    Options
    Is this your first inspection in 2 years or did it suddenly degrade from earlier inspections?

Did you explain to the tenant upfront about her responsibility to adequately heat and ventilate the property in order to prevent damp and mould? Contracts generally make clear this requirement but this doesn't mean that the tenant actually understands a) what happens if they don't b) that if it is caused by tenant behaviour, they are responsible for any costs associated with its repair.

Do you have a thorough signed inventory in place?
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    For improving ventilation without relying on people opening windows try http://www.vent-axia.com/range/hr30w.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure