We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Abbey (Santander) Mortgage Help - Recent Experience

Options

Comments

• darkforces
    Options
    ahol80 wrote: »
    All of these complaints about Abbey Santander sound very familiar!!

We applied for our first mortgage with them on the basis that they told our MA they could process it quickly. They were told at the outset that my partner owned a 25% share of his dad's house and his dad was buying him out and he was being taken off that mortgage ASAP. It went through the underwriters twice (after they made us jump through hoops to prove he could 'buy out' his share of the mortgage on his dad's house) and we finally got an offer - but they left in a clause stating that there could be no other outstanding mortgage - despite being clearly told in writing before the final trip through the underwriter that this would not happen.

His dad's mortgage is in process but Lloyds are really dragging their heels with that one!!

It took Santander 5 days to decide they wouldn't remove the clause (despite numerous verbal confirmations it had only been included due to an oversight on their part), but that the mortgage offer itself still stood. So we could take it up if my partner got out of his other mortgage. We imposed hugely on a personal friend who offered us his life savings to pay off the mortgage until my partners dad's new mortgage came through and we instructed our solicitor to apply for the mortgage funds and exchange (as we could now meet all the conditions of the mortgage offer).

When she applied for the funds our mortgage offer was withdrawn!!! No explanations, no reasons, Santander won't even return our IFA's phone calls anymore and we are at risk of losing the first house we've tried to buy as we scrabble around trying to get another mortgage and all because Santander are incompetent!!

Your IFA has messed up badly here and I'll tell you why. It clearly states in the application when you apply to santander that anyone that is gifting you the deposit is NOT allowed to live with you unless they are put on the mortgage. YourIFA should have warned you about this before you made the application. You should have just told them that you were being gifted the deposit from your gran but she wasnt going to be living there. Once the mortgage application goes through and you are clear, you then move your Gran in. Nothing wrong with this as circumstances change. Parents/Grandparents get ill or old and you need to move them in.

Once the mortgage is in place they cannot do anything. The reason I registered to tell you this is because I applied about 7 months ago and I wanted our Gran to move in with us also however the IFA picked up on the clause and told us she would have to live elsewhere whilst the application was going through and we would have to state she would not be moving in with us. So we delayed the sale on our Grans bungalow and proceeded as the IFA told us. Once the offer had been made and we were close to completion, we began proceedings to sell her bungalow and moved her in with us.

Santander are IDIOTS.
  • atoner1234567
    Options
    I got sent a mortgage offer from santander on this the advised I was able to borrow an additional £750, the then sent me a 2nd mortgage offer which included the £750 but did not have mentioned in features as I would believe as now included in price.
    I am moving in today 14/10 & on the 12/10 the told my solicitor that the previous 2 offers were incorrect & this feature was not available on shared ownership & I was left having to find £750 in a day effectively.
    However the 2nd offer I received on 15/9 states on the front page there have been amendments due to shared ownership.
    I have now had to use all of our funds we had aside to help with bills etc for moving in.
    I feel really hard done by & has caused me so much stress.
  • javorb
    javorb Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    i have today been turned down by santander due to a change in their terms for affordability ,basic remortgage to add 2 bedrooms,2 bathrooms and kitchen /diner,3 weeks ago we remortgaged to get another £10000 to complete the cottage renovation ,we have a mortgage for £82000 ,cottage is valued at £160000,tried to borrow £50000 to make our cottage 5 beds ,3 bathrooms ,value to be around £280000,so equity would increase from £80000 to £150000,they now say they cannot take child benefit or child tax credit into our income as it will decrease and they wont believe my wife will return to work ,so 3 weeks ago they were desparate to get out tax credit confirmed and now they dont count it ,i dont understand their answers as we are no different to any other family tax credit and child benefit will decrease until all kids are 18 but by that time my wife would be working and how little would our mortgage would be am=nd how much collateral would there be , i now seem to realise they have sucked us in and leave us with no option to move mortgage losing early redemptions of £3000+,a financial advisor we know is challenging their decision ,maybe we should take this further
  • mfrench4
    Options
    My boyfriend submitted a request for a mortgage to Santander on the 4th of January. It took them 2 weeks to get it into their systems so they are claiming that they only have it from that date (although they LOST one paper copy of the application, so he had to do the whole thing again).
    In spite of him immediately sending back everything they asked for, it has still taken them until yesterday to "process" his application. Yesterday, they declined it. The only answer he was able to get for this from the very unhelpful person he spoke to is that it is due to his credit rating, which they got from Experian. He just paid to get his credit rating from them, and it is perfect. There's nothing wrong with it. He's also earning far more than he needs to get the mortgage and has no outstanding debt or credit cards.
    In spite of this, Santander are stone-walling him and have flat out refused to lend to him. As it has taken them 6 weeks to do this, he may now lose the house, as it will take 6 weeks with any other lender, AND it might affect his credit rating to have been declined.
    It's an absolute joke. Don't these "underwriters" (who, incidentally, sound like those dank, nasty old men working in dark offices in Dickens novels) know that they're messing with people's lives here???
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    So it's not just me then, Santander treat most of their customers like !!!!...

Roll on Aug when I leave them :D
  • Mark_1_3
    Options
    Very odd experience recently encountered with Santander.

I was an Alliance & Leicester customer but at the end of my fixed rate period at the end of November 2011 I was transferred to Santander on a new 2 year fixed rate at a very competitive 3.49%. I just had to pay £100.00 fee to switch.

Phoned the number on their website for an Additional loan on Wed 8th Feb. They said that I could borrow up to an additional £22,000 but put me through to a so called mortgage advisor who arranged a telephone interview for Friday 10th Feb at 3:00 pm. He asked if I would have all my finance details to hand for an affordability check and said it would take 1 1/2 hours!

Friday he calls at 3:00 pm. During the interview he is trying to get me to switch my current account and sign up for a credit card which is not the purpose of me contacting Santander, so I politely decline. He is meticulously going through every financial outgoing. Then he starts asking me about my retirement age. I am 44 and my mortgage finishes when I am 58 and the additional loan was to finish at the same time so cannot see any issue.

He keeps going off to speak with other people in the office.

After going through finances for about an hour he asks me "how much do you spend a year on haircuts". Come on please!

I inform him that I am currently saving money each month in an ISA to show that I can easily meet the repayments. He said that he would need to speak to someone; again he left me on the phone for a couple of minutes.

Anyway after 1 1/2 hours he informs me that I am minus some ridiculous figure and not eligible for an additional loan. I am totally gobsmacked and explain that I have no debt on cards or loans and never go overdrawn and so cannot see why there should be a problem.

He said there is nothing he can do.

The next morning I checked on my phone the number - 02890720700

It is an office in Belfast!!!!

Try not to have any dealings by phone with this office!

Anyway today I have seen an advisor in my local branch in the South of England.

I sit down and she informs me that Santander introduced a max LTV of 50% if any part of the mortgage is on interest only terms on the 10th Feb.

She then tried to sell me Home insurance!!!
  • Mark_1_3
    Options
    Very odd experience recently encountered with Santander.

I was an Alliance & Leicester customer but at the end of my fixed rate period at the end of November 2011 I was transferred to Santander on a new 2 year fixed rate at a very competitive 3.49%. I just had to pay £100.00 fee to switch.

Phoned the number on their website for an Additional loan on Wed 8th Feb. They said that I could borrow up to an additional £22,000 but put me through to a so called mortgage advisor who arranged a telephone interview for Friday 10th Feb at 3:00 pm. He asked if I would have all my finance details to hand for an affordability check and said it would take 1 1/2 hours!

Friday he calls at 3:00 pm. During the interview he is trying to get me to switch my current account and sign up for a credit card which is not the purpose of me contacting Santander, so I politely decline. He is meticulously going through every financial outgoing. Then he starts asking me about my retirement age. I am 44 and my mortgage finishes when I am 58 and the additional loan was to finish at the same time so cannot see any issue.

He keeps going off to speak with other people in the office.

After going through finances for about an hour he asks me "how much do you spend a year on haircuts". Come on please!

I inform him that I am currently saving money each month in an ISA to show that I can easily meet the repayments. He said that he would need to speak to someone; again he left me on the phone for a couple of minutes.

Anyway after 1 1/2 hours he informs me that I am minus some ridiculous figure and not eligible for an additional loan. I am totally gobsmacked and explain that I have no debt on cards or loans and never go overdrawn and so cannot see why there should be a problem.

He said there is nothing he can do.

The next morning I checked on my phone the number - 02890720700

It is an office in Belfast!!!!

Try not to have any dealings by phone with this office!

Anyway today I have seen an advisor in my local branch in the South of England.

I sit down and she informs me that Santander introduced a max LTV of 50% if any part of the mortgage is on interest only terms on the 10th Feb.

She then tried to sell me Home insurance!!!
  • littlekatiem
    Options
    i have just sold my house for full price (£380,000)after being on the market for only 2 weeks. i have a £183,000 out standing on my currant santander mortgage which is portable. so i phoned santander to port my mortgage over on to the new house we are buying. the new house is being purchased for £250,000 and a mortgage of £144,500 has been asked for. so i want to give them money!!!!

at this point i thought it would be easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! maybe a few bits of paper work to fill in.

nearly 3 months has passed and i still don't have a mortgage offer. i have phoned to chase it every couple of days and they just keep asking for more and more paperwork. i feel that they want me to go elsewhere due to the really low 1.25% interest rate that i am on but they will not admit to that. they can not give me any reason why this is taking so long apart from IT issues in sending the information back to the underwriters. problem is that it is now 3 weeks till i move, all packed and ready, vans booked, solicitors paid and still no mortgage offer. i have complained and today got a call from a nice guy who's going to chase it for me. i feel that it will be refused due to my low rate or my complaint.

is there anything i can do if it is refused?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

is there anything i can do if it is refused?

Santander don't have to offer you a new mortgage on your existing terms.
  • littlekatiem
    Options
    is that not the idea of it being portable. otherwise the offer of a portable mortgage means nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport