PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

History of heave in new build 8 yrs old

Options
We have seen perfect house for us and whilst talking to vendor heave was mentioned 4 yrs ago, it has all been sorted under nhbc guarantee and they have lots of paperwork and monitoring reports which have shown no further problems. The nhbc has been extended for a further 6 yrs so we are assuming this is a good thing.

Trying to get info on heave is quite confusing as its banded with subsidence which is different and more problematic from what I can understand.

The actual crack was slightly bigger than a settlement crack but according to vendors you wouldnt of been able to fit a pencil in the gap (so quite small)

So with everything being sorted would you consider a house with a history of heave?

Nothing else we have seen comes close to this house but I dont want to make a big mistake, we are hoping for this to be our house for at least next 15 years kids left school.

thanks

Comments

• maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought heave was considered worse than subsidence. Settlement cracks are a different thing altogether, and are normally considered far less serious than either heave or subsidence.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Jonbvn
    Jonbvn Posts: 5,562 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Heave is caused by expansion of soil beneath the building/structure. It is prevalent in cold climates where the ground freezes (and hence expands).

Do the reports you have indicate the reason why the soil heaved? Usually, it is related to a change in the moisture content of the soil. The most common cause of heave is removal of trees causing the moisture content of the (usually clay) soil to increase and swell.
    In case you hadn't already worked it out - the entire global financial system is predicated on the assumption that you're an idiot:cool:
  • mrsbounce
    mrsbounce Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    There was a hedge along the line of the property which was taken out and not sealed?? which has now been sorted out as far as i can remember.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How do you seal a hedge?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    What was there before the houses were built? Old OS maps are useful in this regard.
  • mrsbounce
    mrsbounce Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Haha sorry not very clear am I :rotfl:

Before the houses were built there were a row of hedges which were removed but the builders did not seal the roots in the clay soil (that doesnt sound right either!!) there has been monitoring for last 4 years and no further problems...

im no doubt saying this wrong again!
  • Cannon_Fodder
    Cannon_Fodder Posts: 3,980 Forumite
    Options
    mrsbounce wrote: »
    We have seen perfect house for us and whilst talking to vendor heave was mentioned..

Would appear to be a contradiction in terms - 'perfect' and 'heave' in the same sentence...!

Dim and distant memory of insurance law (that I am happy to be corrected on, as it is being dredged up from rarely used grey matter!), brings to mind that you cannot pursue a claim for the same insurable event twice. If inadequately dealt with, you'd potentially have to get the original fixing contractor to re-visit - and what if they have disappeared/folded by then..?

If the original damage was slight, there is a fair chance any minor repetition would be even less noticable, and I can just see the NHBC people saying, oh sorry that's "cosmetic"...
    http://www.nhbc.co.uk/Homeowners/Problemswithyourhome/FAQ/#d.en.34762

[ Cracking to walls - "Cracking which is cosmetic, or is caused by shrinkage, thermal movement or movement between different types of materials, is not covered." ]

However the problem re-appears, I wonder if will you really be able to rely on the NHBC guarantee ?

4 years might seem long enough to have fair confidence that it won't reoccur, but if I was totally smitten with the house, I'd want an independant, written, guaranteed opinion from an expert in the subject.

Otherwise, why risk it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport