'I'm not convinced Cameron's right on Ministerial transport...' blog discussion

Replies

• monkeyspannermonkeyspanner Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    I think that Martin is probably right about ministerial cars but I think Cameron is sending a message here to all the other public servants, and contractors that it is public money they are spending or receiving and we (the public)are getting pretty fed up with seeing our money wasted and no real effort being made to cut back public spending. £6Billion in cuts is laughable the uk will add £160+Billion to its borrowing this year. The government is currently spending £4 for every £3 it raises in taxes, this situation is goverment by credit card and at some point the money will have to be paid back. It is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

As I heard the other day " Government borrowing is deferred taxation".

In my opinion there should be no ring fencing of public spending. Labour spent years creating this mess now it will take years to put it right.
  • I think Martin makes a valid point
  • PembrokePembroke Forumite
    830 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't they heard of video conferencing ? But if they must travel to face to face meetings why not do it in a minivan of some sort equipped as a mobile office, then they could have meetings in traffic jams, shouldn't be beyond the security people to make it safe.
  • stevemcolstevemcol Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    I'm sorry, I'm far too busy to read this thread and certainly don't have time to post a reply. I'm just off to my next meeting by Harrier jump jet.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
  • edited 5 June 2010 at 7:41PM
    JDPowerJDPower Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    edited 5 June 2010 at 7:41PM
    leedsmum wrote: »
    I read somewhere, (although cant remember where) that even though the ministers have to travel by public transport, their paperwork can't for security reasons, so presumably their briefcases and boxes are getting chauffered about anyway. Not sure how true it is, but if so, how crazy is that!!
    That was mentioned on "Have I Got News For You" last week. Apparently one MP asked if, as he wanted to do some work, he could travel in the car with his case :D He was told no, it wasn't allowed!
  • edited 5 June 2010 at 1:29PM
    Nessie23Nessie23 Forumite
    245 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 5 June 2010 at 1:29PM
    I don't see it a bad thing that ministers have to use public transport, it will give them a better grasp of reality. They can also gain a good understanding of the state of the public network and how it could be improved (once money becomes available in 2050!)

If ministers have to use public transport they might be more compelled to improving it, for the simple fact that they have to use it.

On the particular occasions where it makes sense to go somewhere by car, couldn't there be a small pool of ministerial cars for them to share (possibly a ministerial car share?); or could they maybe consider taking a cab?
  • exilexil Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Yes there is a car pool! They can also use taxis.

The aim of this is to prevent the ludicrous situation where Chris Mullin tried to save money by limiting his use of official cars and drivers and his department was presented with a huge bill for not using them.
  • dzug1dzug1 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect it won't take much to quietly reverse the decision - a briefcase left on a bus or in a taxi or snatched by a mugger on a motorcycle maybe.
  • Deedee9Deedee9 Forumite
    29 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    So if they gave up the 14+ weeks paid leave they get and instead worked the hours most of the UK do then they could get their work done and use public transport like the rest of us.
  • JDPowerJDPower Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    dzug1 wrote: »
    I suspect it won't take much to quietly reverse the decision - a briefcase left on a bus or in a taxi or snatched by a mugger on a motorcycle maybe.
    Except, as already mentioned, they aren't allowed to carry their briefcases with them for that exact reason.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides