PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

cloth nappies and leaking wraps

Options
Hello all :)
Hoping I'm posting this in the right place I use terry squares for my little ones bottom with nature babies wraps, however latley the wraps have been leaking......infact all the front of the wrap leaks....I'm having to change the wrap with every terry at the mo. Night time is awful..I have to change him during the night or hes soaked ( unless hes sleeping in his minki! Thats always been reliable )
My question is..can I get something to re-waterproof the wraps? I'd rather not buy new ones as apart from the leaking they look brand new!!
Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• joannasmum
    joannasmum Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The only thing that I think you can try is a quick burst in the tumble dryer something about the heat realigning the molecules in the plastic. Unfortuately Nature Babies wraps often leak, I gave up and sold them on ebay and bought Motherease Airflow cant recommend them enough.

HTH
    Sorting my life out one day at a time
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you been washing them in fabric conditioner? That does something to the waterproofing so that it isn't waterproof any more.

Maybe babe has just grown & changed shape so that these ones are not longer a snug fit? Depending on how old babe is, could he be laying/sleeping in a different position? I had to change my washables once Spud started rolling over & sleeping on his front, and now he's starting to walk (:eek:) I'm having to fold them a differnet way or he "oozes"!:rolleyes: Of could he have simply outgrown this size & need the next size up? I found my previously reliable ones leaked when he started to grow out of them:rolleyes:

HTH;)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • fesdufun
    fesdufun Posts: 515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check the terry - is it very wet? If it is very wet then you may need to add a booster to increase absorbency. If it isn't that wet check that there is enough of a gap between the nappy and the wrap. Sometimes if it is very close it can draw the moisture out of the nappy onto the wrap. I run a finger around the wrap to pull it away from the wrap. Or use a larger wrap. Also worth checking the paper liner (if you use one, isn't sticking out).

Other than that it may just be that the wraps have lost their waterproofness (is that a word?). I haven't heard of a way to reproof them.

I also recommend Motherease Airflow.

Good luck.
  • thriftmummy
    Options
    Hi there,
    I too use Motherease wraps and have never had any problems with them. I got mine second hand off ebay. Have you tried using fleece liners? These are good for absorbing moisture without leaving baby with a wet bum. I made mine myself from some fleece material - cost me about £4 and I had enough material left over to make reusable baby wipes
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Check the Nappy Lady website, sometimes she sells used ones

www.thenappylady.co.uk

or get in touch with your local NCT, sometimes they have local nappy reps, they do demos on different types of washable nappies and often have used ones to sell as well.

HTH

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • looneyleo
    looneyleo Posts: 516 Forumite
    Options
    Gosh...sounds like a lot of effort...have to say I have two children and used disposables for them both and felt totally guilty - environmentally and money wise for it..but I just didn't think I could manage with the reusables. Well done for trying though you have my admiration...

In my environmental defence...I reduce, reuse and recycle EVERYTHING else I can and my wheelie bin is only ever half full after 2 weeks and that is mostly nappies so I do try!

Well done...:T
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Looneyleo do not feel guilty, we do what we can do - I felt so very guilty using disposables when I had my twins 17 years ago

BUT:

I lived in a 1st floor 1 bedroom flat with no garden and there was no such thing as nappy laundry services at that time

I have forgiven myself now! heheh

But have also done other environmentally 'good' things (given up the car, stopped flying, recycle reuse an' all that)

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • mrs_mug_2
    mrs_mug_2 Posts: 172 Forumite
    Options
    I've never really got on with those wraps. Motherease were my favourites for a long time but now my wrap of choice is the wacky wrap - no leaks, no red marks on their legs and they are very funky. kittykins sell them if you want to have a nosey.
  • mummytofour
    mummytofour Posts: 2,636 Forumite
    Options
    Motherease wraps are the best by far! I hate nature babies with a passion.
    Another fav of mine is minki wraps, fleece outer with PUL inner.
    Bin the nature babies and get some nice ME wraps.
    Debt free and plan on staying that way!!!!
  • greentomato
    Options
    I also recommend Motherease wraps. Do you soak your nappies and wraps? My nappy lady rep said that you should never ever soak wraps as it reduces the waterproofness.

I don't think you can rewaterproof them unfortunately. Do you have any NCT nearly-new sales near you? They often have second-hand cloth nappies and wraps being sold - although you have to get in quick as they are often the first things to go! NCT sales are listed on the website http://www.nct.org.uk/local/

I use cloth nappies and find they very rarely leak (unless DH has put them on and left the nappy sticking out!) but I use a disposable at night-time, just because I want a good night's sleep!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure