Chilli plant help!! please

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
10 replies 1.2K views
linzi133linzi133 Forumite
39 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Can anyone help me save my (i think) dying chilli plant. I'm not what you would call greenfingered but for the past few years I have been succesful in not killing a chilli plant given to me every year by a friend.
This year it looks as though my plant is dying. I have about 6 chillis at the green stage with more developing but the plant leaves have started to seriously wither and look as though they are dying.
I am following my instructions carefully and feeding with tomato feed twice a week and have in on the kitchen window sill which is warm but not too warm.

Can anyone help me and tell me what to do to save it!

lindsey

Replies

• mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is its pot too small?
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • annie123annie123 Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    could be red spider mite, my 3 year old plant got an attack a couple of weeks ago, look to see if you have tiny webs or dots on the underside of the leaves.
    They are tiny green dots as spider mites are green in the summer months.
    Goggle it and you will get lots of pic/info

If so, spray with soapy water now (the dots will look black after spraying)and in 5 days time to kill the newly hatched eggs. It will recover if caught early.

And my plant has just gone into a 12" pot now from a 9" (it started in a 6", so as Mrbadexample has says it could be pot bound too.
  • pookiewnpookiewn Forumite
    471 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Have you checked the leaves for bugs? Even inside the creepy crawlies can get to them. Mine died last year from spider mite, horrid things! :(
    "Live each day as if it were your last and garden as though you will live forever"
    Anonymous
  • Zazen999Zazen999 Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    tomato feed twice a week :eek:

Are you overfeeding the poor thing? Are you overwatering it?

Stop feeding it for a while, check the leaves for any bugs, let it dry out a bit and see what happens.
  • RHYSDADRHYSDAD Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Chilli's are notoriously fussy. Too wet, too dry, too hot, too cold, too much food, too little.....The list goes on.

I would re-pot it into a larger pot, say 9 inches or so, with fresh good quality compost, water it in and then leave til it wilts (same goes for tomatoes) then water with half-strength tomato feed once a week and see what happens...... Good luck!
    "Do not use a hatchet to remove a fly from your friend's forehead."

Chinese Proverb

• angelavdavisangelavdavis Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Sounds like over-watering to me.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • linzi133linzi133 Forumite
    39 Posts
    thanks for your help everyone.

I have been following the instructions from the garden centre! The label with the plant said once it started to produce chillies to use tomato feed twice a week.
    I will stop feeding it and see what happens. I can't see any bugs etc. I already have it in a 12inch pot.

I'll let you know how it comes !!!

Thank you again
  • Zazen999Zazen999 Forumite
    6.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    linzi133 wrote: »
    thanks for your help everyone.

I have been following the instructions from the garden centre! The label with the plant said once it started to produce chillies to use tomato feed twice a week.
    I will stop feeding it and see what happens. I can't see any bugs etc. I already have it in a 12inch pot.

I'll let you know how it comes !!!

Thank you again

Are you diluting the feed as per the bottle instructions?

I don't actually use tomato food, I use comfrey and they get it when I remember. Twice a week is too much, even in full summer growth spurts.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Plant food even at the correct dilution can leave behind salts which build up in compost, flush it through with plain water a few times or dunk in a bowl lift out when bubbles stop & repeat with fresh water.
    As the plant is already stressed I would then leave it out of direct sun for a few days to recover before trying anything else like repotting.
  • linzi133linzi133 Forumite
    39 Posts
    wow the hints and tips are fab.
    I have been diluting the feed but I have stopped feeding it now.
    I have 'rinsed' it through and taken it out of direct sunlight all together. The wilted leaves are now feeling very brittle.
    Fingers crossed I haven't killed it off completly!

Thanks for your help everyone

Lindsey
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals