🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

0844 numbers and quickdial

Options
I used to be with Onetel and used 1899 for my cheap calls to abroad and mobiles. I could pre-programme the whole of a favourite number(together with the prefix) into my phone's memory button and then just use the memory store to make a call.

I've now converted to TalkTalk and since I've been unbundled(painful!!) I can't use 1899. I'm therefore left with using one of the 0844 providers BUT

I can't find a way of making it easy to make a call. You can preprogramme the prefix number into a memory store but you then have to wait for the message etc before you can enter the actual number you want to call. I've tried entering the prefix and the number into a memory store without any success.

can anyone suggest a solution?

Comments

• BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    You could try entering the prefix then a about 3 pauses and then the destination number into the memory.

Many phones allow pauses to be entered, this will allow just enough time for the system to answer and be ready in time for the rest of the dial string to be actioned.

(I do feel sorry for your poor choice of telecoms provider, and be aware that TT have in their terms if you are found using another telecoms provider as you are, they will either charge you more for line rental, charge you more for that type of call or disconnect you from their service).
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    BexTech wrote:
    I do feel sorry for your poor choice of telecoms provider, and be aware that TT have in their terms if you are found using another telecoms provider as you are, they will either charge you more for line rental, charge you more for that type of call or disconnect you from their service).
    So, keep using 0844 numbers because, with luck, the latter will happen!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • hammerite_2
    Options
    I didn't realise that TT had that condition in their terms and conditions. Perhaps Martin should include that in his discussions on home phone providers.

I'll try the pause idea anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family