Added Security for Lloyds online account

Options
I have a Lloyds online account, and I've just had to organise a payment to a friend. I must say I was impressed with the new security. When you try to set up a new payee, a number appears on the screen. Lloyds then phone you back (an automated call), and you have to punch the screen number using your keypad. All very impressive. Not sure if it will happen with every new payee or every payment, but all in all superb. I suppose, if you had access to someone else's account, you could change the phone number to your own thus getting round the security, but for now, well done Lloyds.

Comments

• anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Geoffo_M wrote: »
    I have a Lloyds online account, and I've just had to organise a payment to a friend. I must say I was impressed with the new security. When you try to set up a new payee, a number appears on the screen. Lloyds then phone you back (an automated call), and you have to punch the screen number using your keypad. All very impressive. Not sure if it will happen with every new payee or every payment, but all in all superb. I suppose, if you had access to someone else's account, you could change the phone number to your own thus getting round the security, but for now, well done Lloyds.
    The phoning part is only for every new payee. Once you have set it up, one offs to the same account go through without the phone call.

I haven't tried the phone number change possibility but think they won't use the new number for a while. Perhaps someone who knows better than I will be along soon to confirm or refute.
  • Andystriker
    Andystriker Posts: 590 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lloyds also sent me a text message telling me the new payee had been set up. They also send a text message whenever a payment is made.
  • coolesticeking
    Options
    If you change any of the Numbers in Branch/Over the Phone etc then it won't let you set up any further Payments for 14 Days. You have to call a Number On-Screen during this period who set up the New Payee for you and then you can go ahead and make the Payment Online.
    David :)
    £1 of debt is too much for me!
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    edited 31 May 2010 at 9:51PM
    Options
    Lloyds also sent me a text message telling me the new payee had been set up. They also send a text message whenever a payment is made.
    I haven't given LTSB my mobile number (gave home and work numbers only) - but Halifax (now owned by LTSB) do send email confirmation when I set up a new payee or make a Faster Payment from a Halifax account.
  • hippey
    hippey Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    Geoffo_M wrote: »

If you alter or change a phone number the system blocks it for 14 days, so it is harder for those who did access your account to then make new payments.

The only down side (as I found out) is if branch staff 'update' your details it blocks the system from new payments even if the same numbers are re-entered. A right pain when staff shouldn't have even been looking at you details for what they were doing. In my case it was a member of staff who was trying to looking to make a sale!
    These are my thoughts and no one else's, so like any public forum advice - check it out before entering into contracts or spending your hard earned cash!

I don't know everything, however I do try to point people in the right direction but at the end of the day you can only ever help yourself!
  • Mark_In_Hampshire
    Options
    This is very positive.

Now all that needs to be done is to do the same thing for new direct debit mandates - when the bank receives one, you're called on to authorise it so that the mandate is created.

Thus at a stroke introducing some security into the direct debit system so that it is no longer possible to set up dozens of direct debits fraudulently on someone elses account that you just happen to know the s/c and ac no for, and removing the possibility of a call centre worker's keying error resulting in the bank account holder potentially being hit for bank charges for a DD they never did set up.
  • Geoffo_M
    Geoffo_M Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    Options
    hippey wrote: »
    If you alter or change a phone number the system blocks it for 14 days, so it is harder for those who did access your account to then make new payments.

The only down side (as I found out) is if branch staff 'update' your details it blocks the system from new payments even if the same numbers are re-entered. A right pain when staff shouldn't have even been looking at you details for what they were doing. In my case it was a member of staff who was trying to looking to make a sale!

I should imagine this could be quite a problem, if you were planning to make an urgent payment and then were blocked from doing so. There should be some override, but I suppose this could weaken the security. Maybe we should suggest to Lloyds they conduct fewer 'financial reviews'. Some hope!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure