Flys on my cucumbers!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
2 replies 696 views
Refund_QueenRefund_Queen Forumite
186 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hi,
Have today planted out my cucumbers that ive grown from seed and it seems I have loads of black fly (most of which look dead), a few green fly and one patch of what looks like spit (eurgh!) on the back of one of the big leaves and a weird looking white fat wriggling thing underneath!

Im a newbie gardener (bet you couldnt guess!) and wondered if anyone could give me any hints or tips to get rid of them organically...please!!

Thanks!
:)

Replies

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    10.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spit is "cuckoo spit", you can just wash this off with the bug inside it

Blackfly / greenfly generally do not bother with cucs, but you could just squish them with your fingers
  • foxglovesfoxgloves Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Don't spoil your cucumbers with chemicals. If you have blackfly/whitefly/aphids or any of those type of small 'sticky' flies, just make up a solution of an environmentally-friendly washing up liquid & gently wash the leaves with it. This gets rid of them & the soapiness also stops them being able to breathe. The little bugs in the cuckoo spit are called froghoppers. I get loads of these on my lavender. They don't seem to do any damage at all, & you can just hose it off. We've picked our first cucumbers this week & they're lovely, so do keep going with them. They seem so much more juicy & fresh than those you buy in the shops.
    "Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only the moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake".
    Sir Francis Bacon 1561 - 1626 (Philosopher & statesman)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals