edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
3 replies 639 views
PinklepurrPinklepurr Forumite
320 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Hi

I have an Amelanchier tree which I planted during the Easter holidays - so only 6 weeks ago or so. I already have one in my garden so didn't think twice about planting another as it has always been so hardy.

It wilted a bit during the recent dry spell. I had been watering it but perhaps not quite as much as I should have. It perked up after a thorough watering but now the leaves are shriveling up and turning brown. It starts at the edge of the leaf and gradually moves towards the stem until the whole leaf is brown. It's mostly at the top of the tree but some lower leaves are affected too.

What could be causing this?

Any help would be appreciated. It cost me £40 and I don't want to lose it!

Replies

• Ginger_SnapGinger_Snap Forumite
    194 Posts
    If this happened to a plant of mine I would think it was the after effects of being dry that was causing the leaves to shrivel up. When I looked it up it on the web it says it needs a rich, moist soil...I will keep thinking and see if I can come up with anything else for you...
  • Ginger_SnapGinger_Snap Forumite
    194 Posts
    Have been doing some research for you on possible fire blight, which it says causes sudden wilting, and it sounds pretty nasty...So I hope you haven't got this...
    Dryness sounds most likely and far less scary!
  • PinklepurrPinklepurr Forumite
    320 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks Ginger Snap

I am wondering if it is fire blight too. Watering has helped restore the drooping leaves, and I thought this would also solve the dried out leaves, but the problem seems to be getting worse not better! I will read up a bit more about fire blight.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals