Capital One - 0% 9 month no handling fees

Today I had a Capital One cc junkmail letter through the post. As usual it offered me 9 months 0% BT. But at the bottom it had in bold:-
"PS Apply Now for 0% interest on balance transfers and purchases for 9 months and no handling fees!"

I've read warnings in the past of carefully hidden charges with Capital One products - is this genuinely fee free? I've scanned the T&Cs and cannot find anything obvious.
My current stooze is coming to an end so this is tempting :)
* "Take my advice, Dont listen to me." *
~~ Yes I've tried Google ~~
~~ Yes I've tried ebaY ~~

Comments

• YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I haven't seen, or heard of, one of these offers since late 2005.

If you're certain there's no fee I would definitely go for it. Since it has 0% on both BT's and purchases, you have so many options to keep the stooz pot topped up. For example, you can either re-cycle the hefty 3% minimum payments by BT'ing from Egg Money (and on to the stooz pot) each month fee-free, or simply spend them by making purchases.

Can I ask...have you previously been a Capital One customer, or do you have a savings account currently? Or did this come straight 'out of the blue'?

Finally, was the application form pre-completed with your name and address, or was it a blank form and covering letter?
  • Im cancelling a capital one credit card tomorrow so ill try and get this offer out of them :D
    Waddle you do eh?
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    crankup wrote:
    Today I had a Capital One cc junkmail letter through the post. As usual it offered me 9 months 0% BT. But at the bottom it had in bold:-
    "PS Apply Now for 0% interest on balance transfers and purchases for 9 months and no handling fees!"

I've read warnings in the past of carefully hidden charges with Capital One products - is this genuinely fee free? I've scanned the T&Cs and cannot find anything obvious.
    My current stooze is coming to an end so this is tempting :)
    As long as the summary box says nothing about BT fees (against 'charges' descriptor) then it will be as you say..
    Im cancelling a capital one credit card tomorrow so ill try and get this offer out of them :D
    Wait at least one month before reapplying - that is the period used by Capital One for accepting you as a new customer. (No guarantee of being accepted of course.)
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • dadrock
    dadrock Posts: 113 Forumite
    Good idea about Egg Money - thanks.
  • Clariman
    Clariman Posts: 1,484 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting. Was it a junk mail letter specifically addressed to someone or was it an offer that fell out of a newspaper/magazine ?
    Author of the first Stoozing FAQ on the Internet and Creator of the SOA & Snowball calculators at Lemonfool.co.uk
  • dov
    dov Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I got this offer by post and have applied and waiting response. My brother got the one with 2% fee a week later.
    Milarky wrote:
    Wait at least one month before reapplying - that is the period used by Capital One for accepting you as a new customer. (No guarantee of being accepted of course.)
    They ask you on application if you have had a Capital One card in last 6 months, so you might need to wait 6 months to be considered a new customer.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,355 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    dov wrote:
    They ask you on application if you have had a Capital One card in last 6 months, so you might need to wait 6 months to be considered a new customer.
    In fact they state:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Please do not apply if you already have a Capital One credit card, you have applied for one in the last 6 months or if you are not a UK resident[/FONT]
    So, if you close your account shortly before you then apply, there is no reference to the 6 months time-bar. After reading that I decided to apply about one month after closing a previous account I held with them - and I was accepted. Other posters have confirmed the same thing - Capital One will treat you as a 'new' customer only one month after closing an existing account and allow you to apply in that time frame. [This was in Spring 2005]
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • dov
    dov Posts: 211 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks for the clarification, I don't have the appliation form with me so I was writing from memory, though it probably states it online aswell.
  • crankup
    crankup Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the replies.
    I have never been a Capital One customer before. I reckon I get a junk ad once a month at least from them, this time it being interesting.
    The credit agreement form has my name & address printed on it.

There was a separate flyer with "3 quick steps to transfer your balance" on it. That mentioned a 2% handling fee, but them main form has the extra bold statement. I'll give it a go and report back if there's any problems.

Cheers.
    * "Take my advice, Dont listen to me." *
    ~~ Yes I've tried Google ~~
    ~~ Yes I've tried ebaY ~~

• jojo1978_3
    jojo1978_3 Posts: 1,432 Forumite
    Milarky wrote:
    In fact they state:

So, if you close your account shortly before you then apply, there is no reference to the 6 months time-bar. After reading that I decided to apply about one month after closing a previous account I held with them - and I was accepted. Other posters have confirmed the same thing - Capital One will treat you as a 'new' customer only one month after closing an existing account and allow you to apply in that time frame. [This was in Spring 2005]

Capital One state that you only have to wait for 1 week before reapplying, the reason they ask if you have applied in the last 6 months is because they won't accept you if you have been declined in the last 6 months
    :)Henry James Born 18/03/2011-11 days late!:)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure