Unlawful Car Sale

in Motoring
4 replies 747 views
kev2002kev2002 Forumite
2 Posts
Long post...

I bought a car last year and the salesman promised me I would get 1 year's warranty.

Since then I have not received any such warranty and have still to receive a final receipt for the purchase. On top of that, I needed to fork out for an expensive repair -which I was assured would be refunded by the sales company as he "knew the warranty company".

Trading Standards have been on the case and he has fully admitted he owes me the money and that the warranty was offered. He has been contacted time and time again by TS and every time he has been sorry with an excuse followed by another promise. This has gone on for months with no sign of closure.

It seems to me that since this is a Civil matter and that TS actually have no powers to enforce any actions, I am going to remain out of pocket.

I asked the TS officer what I could do and he said I could go to the small claims court. That will cost me and should he fail to turn up to court I will have to fork out again to start further proceedings which could go on and on. The TS Officer said if it was him, he would go to court.

Anyone who has read this post - what would you do?

Replies

• ukjoelukjoel Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Is he still operating. Do you have any of this in writing.
    Cost of a years warranty can be as little as £100 although some will be much more depending on age, and make of car along with milage.

If you think you can recover the money then go to small claims.
    Where does he advertise - inform them you are going to small claims, send them copies of letters from TS.
    They may decide he isnt worth the custom and drop his adverts

I think we should start a STICKY thread at the top with the top ten pieces of advice before you go and buy a car.

1 - Get everthing promised documented and signed BEFORE handing any money over.
    2 - Just because it has the latest plate DOES NOT MEAN its the latest model.
    anyone want to put in suggestions for 3 - 10???
  • HammymanHammyman
    9.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    kev2002 wrote: »
    I asked the TS officer what I could do and he said I could go to the small claims court. That will cost me and should he fail to turn up to court I will have to fork out again to start further proceedings which could go on and on.

If he doesn't turn up at court, you automatically win by default. Put in a claim online, its only about £30 OTTOMH.
  • DaveF327DaveF327 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Name and shame.
  • SarsieSarsie Forumite
    283 Posts

Truthfully?

Have my freinds stop by for a little chat, see if he didn't have a change of heart. Such helpful chaps they are, you could get the wrong idea to look at them, all brawn and facial tattoos but they've very nice when you know them, they are always ever so good to thier Mums too. :A

AFTER that I'd go to court- on the pure principle of the thing. I refuse to be treated like anyones doormat.

You perhaps don't have the friends I do (you never know- you might), they have such a way with words! Before I had friends with such elloquent expressive capabilities I would have skipped the first part and cut straight to the second. If you're gonna involve a mate like that you better be 100% sure of his ability to say the right thing and NOT the wrong thing- so don't ask the local troublemaker from down the pub, he's a liability not an asset.

But anyway you asked what I'd do- that's what I'd do.
    "I, on the other hand, am a fully rounded human being with a degree from the university of life, a diploma from the school of hard knocks, and three gold stars from the kindergarten of getting the sh*t kicked out of me." ~ Capt. E. Blackadder
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides