Advice please - new to eBay

Options
Hi all,

I am new to eBay and I want to purchase some MAC make up for some presents for friends. I have seen a couple of listings for job lots which I am interested in purchasing, but I know there are a lot of fake MAC products on the site.

Does anyone have any advice for when it comes to spotting fake products on eBay? Or, does anyone know of any sellers on there to stay away from?

I was planning on selling any on that I wasn't going to use as gifts, so not only did I not want to give friends/family fake gifts, I didn't want to be selling people fake products!

Any help would be great - I don't want to land in trouble!

Thanks!!
Became Mrs C on 14th of August 2010

Comments

• preable
    preable Posts: 2,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi look at there feedback if there is no - feedback for beeing fake ect then most likely there real. Dont be afraid to use the ask the seller a question either as thats what its there for :)
  • partyprincess
    Options
    Personally I would steer clear as most MAC items on there are fake. If you do decide to buy then ask the seller to email a photo of the original receipt, if they come up with excuses or say they buy it wholesale then don't buy from them as it will almost certainly be fake. Don't throw away your money, better to buy your friends one genuine MAC item that any number of fakes!
  • Kayleigh09
    Kayleigh09 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    preable wrote: »
    Hi look at there feedback if there is no - feedback for beeing fake ect then most likely there real. Dont be afraid to use the ask the seller a question either as thats what its there for :)

I have had a look and everyone seems to be rating him/her quite highly. No negative feedback whatsoever and only one neutral feedback.
    Personally I would steer clear as most MAC items on there are fake. If you do decide to buy then ask the seller to email a photo of the original receipt, if they come up with excuses or say they buy it wholesale then don't buy from them as it will almost certainly be fake. Don't throw away your money, better to buy your friends one genuine MAC item that any number of fakes!

I know, I know! I was just looking at ways to try and save money yet get a couple of friends some nice presents! Every girls dreams of owning MAC (or similar branded) make up! Maybe to be on the safe side I should just get them some MAC make up from a MAC make up counter.

I have emailed them to ask if the make up sets are genuine, and on their listing they have stated that they have purchased the make up sets from "a large liquidator in the US". Does this sound dodgy to you?
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kayleigh09 wrote: »
    I have emailed them to ask if the make up sets are genuine, and on their listing they have stated that they have purchased the make up sets from "a large liquidator in the US". Does this sound dodgy to you?

They are not going to tell you its fake if it is are they.

As party princess i would avoid Mac stuff on ebay we get at least 1 post a month here because someone has bought fake stuff. If it is fake paypal require you to get a signed letter from Mac to prove its fake efore you would be refunded. MAC normally will not do this.
  • Kayleigh09
    Kayleigh09 Posts: 165 Forumite
    Options
    cyberbob wrote: »
    They are not going to tell you its fake if it is are they.

I have seen some have stated that they're unsure as to whether the items that they have put up for sale are genuine mac products - maybe pinning hope on a bit of honesty?

Either way - as partyprincess said, I'll ask for proof of purchase whn they reply (unless they say they aren't genuine products - obviously).
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,259 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I would avoid it's such a faked area that I wouldn't risk my money.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Kayleigh09 wrote: »
    I have seen some have stated that they're unsure as to whether the items that they have put up for sale are genuine mac products - maybe pinning hope on a bit of honesty?

Either way - as partyprincess said, I'll ask for proof of purchase whn they reply (unless they say they aren't genuine products - obviously).

I think your just asking for trouble

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2354181&highlight=fake+mac+products

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2335775&highlight=fake+mac+products
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure