cost of wedding

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what a reasonable amount to pay on hiring wedding crockery is? The wedding venue me and my fiance are looking at quoted us £900 just for crockery, (not including serving plates/spoons /glasses etc) we are not able to allow any outside caterers to provide the crockery for us. Is this a reasonable cost or are we being ripped off? We thought it was quite high, but we're new to all this wedding stuff so not sure.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Comments

• NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Are you hiring a room/venue and bringing in caterers?

I've never heard of a crockery charge before.

It would probably be cheaper to let them cater than charge you this on top. That may be their plan.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • sadz1
    sadz1 Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2010 at 7:47PM
    We're hiring out the venue and they are also catering for us, but they are charging on top for the crockery, we asked if we could bring in our own caterers as we thought this might be cheaper, the response was yes, but they still insist on providing the crockery...forgot to mention there are 150 guests
  • jen_br
    jen_br Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Ummmm that is ridiculus... what kind of venue is this im in catering and i have NEVER heard anything like this. I have heard of charging for cake like if you bring your own cake and the venue charges 2.00 or something for cutting and plating the cake...

I have heard of a deposit... so if a guest starts breaking plates its taken off that deposit.

BUT ive never heard of a charge for crockery... I mean, if you are paying lets say 19.99 per person that includes plates staffing etc.
  • sadz1
    sadz1 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hmmm thanks for this, will have to maybe start looking for somewhere else...
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Just out of curiosity.

There is a whole board dedicated to weddings, why would you want to post your request for help on an obsolete 'most popular chat tips ever' board?
  • NJW69
    NJW69 Posts: 843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    torbrex wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity.

There is a whole board dedicated to weddings, why would you want to post your request for help on an obsolete 'most popular chat tips ever' board?

Possibly because they have only done three posts?

However OP you would get a better response on the wedding threads.
    GC Jan £318/£350, Feb £221.84/£300, Mar £200.00/£250 Apr £201.05/£200 May £199.61/£200 June £17.25/£200

NSD Feb 23/12 :j NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
  • jen_br
    jen_br Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    If you want to send me a private message let me know what kind of venue etc you are hiring I might be able to help you a bit further you or you can post it here... up to you :)
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,887 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Go to poundland and buy some paper plates!
    Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • nomoneytoday
    nomoneytoday Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you went to a local restaurant for dinner would they charge extra for plates? ;)
  • frannyann
    frannyann Posts: 10,970 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    This is defo the wrong board for this, can a Mod move to the wedding board there are loads of savvy savers over there who can help! (I only found this by stumbling across it!!)
    :rotfl:Ahahah got my signature removed for claiming MSE thought it was too boring :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure