Goin to Canterbury kent

Options
Hi Guys

I REALLY would like to know the cheapest ( quickest too but mostly cheapest) way to get to Canterbury, kent University from London.

Can you believe that it is one of the few places that the Megabus doesnt go to!!

I need to come back and forth from London every so often because I work in the media and most of the media jobs are in the big smoke.

Thanks so much

Comments

• Kaz_Pike
    Kaz_Pike Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    I go to Christ Church in Canterbury and a National Express Bus goes from Victoria to Canterbury bus station...some of the evenings it goes straight to UKC's grounds.

If you book on the website, you can do fun fairs and get them from as little as £1.

I cant remember how much a normal fair is, but I go to Bluewater and I paid £10 for a student discount card, which lets me get on the bus for £9.20 i think, open return - rather than about £12 odd. The discount card is for a year.

You also get a 2 or 3 year card free when you join barclay's bank and get a student account.

Hope that helps :)
  • KishCash
    KishCash Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Thank You for that. Looks Like I'm going to have to get a coach which is a a pain and much longer too.
  • Kaz_Pike
    Options
    KishCash wrote:
    Thank You for that. Looks Like I'm going to have to get a coach which is a a pain and much longer too.

I found the trains were much longer, it took 2 hours, where as a coach is an hour and a half
    check your area for where you may be able to get the coach from, there may be one in ur town
  • KishCash
    Options
    I'm going from London and I've tried to look for different cheap routes from London Victoria,I've looked into getting a coach from Bromley South or Bluewater but to be honest it starting to give me a headache! I've got money worries even before I've started uni!!

The least amount of time is on the National Express coach (1Hr 50 min) but I'm abit nervous about buying the student coach card off the net as I was subject to fraud ealier this year...
  • Kaz_Pike
    Options
    Bluewater takes 50mins, i get it a lot, it flies by and you can sleep cuz they announce when your there so you know when to get off!

You dont have to buy it online, you can go to the coach station in victoria to pick one up!
  • KishCash
    Options
    I tried to open up a NatWest account to try and get the free 5 year railcards- the cheeky !!!!!!!s said that they are sick of students coming in and opening up accounts just to get it!! whats the point of advertising it if you don't want people to apply? Anyway i'm waiting for them to make a decision on whether or not they will open one for me, hopefully they will...

I still haven't given up- I'm trying to find cheaper and quicker routes, i'll keep you posted!!...how much is it from Bluewater to kent? and how do get to bluewaater anyway? thanks
  • CAFCGirl
    CAFCGirl Posts: 9,122 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    KishCash wrote:
    I tried to open up a NatWest account to try and get the free 5 year railcards- the cheeky !!!!!!!s said that they are sick of students coming in and opening up accounts just to get it!! whats the point of advertising it if you don't want people to apply? Anyway i'm waiting for them to make a decision on whether or not they will open one for me, hopefully they will...

I still haven't given up- I'm trying to find cheaper and quicker routes, i'll keep you posted!!...how much is it from Bluewater to kent? and how do get to bluewaater anyway? thanks

Write a letter to their complaints department about how rude it as to give you that response, technically any offers that go with any account are to draw in applications, i.e the £50 back from barclays if they dont beat ur renewal quote.

Do that and I will bet you they will handle your application from H.O as opposed to a branch!

Because thats what I did to Barclays when the bloke told me if I was only applying for contents insurance to get the £50, then I'd have to make an appointment for when they were free to deal with a non-priority application!

BTW to get to Canterbury from London, you've got very few choices, its National Express or train service really.
    National Express you can get for £8 one way, from London victoria, doesnt really take any time at all, and has very few stops within london (about 4 i think) and then smooth sailing to Canterbury.

From bluewater it takes near on 50 mins, leaves from the bus station at bluewater into centre of town at canterbury. But getting from london to bluewater would probs mean u may as well get the coach from london and save the hassle of connections!
    Manifesting Abundance in 2023
    Fashion On The Ration 2023 36/66
  • kendra_2
    Options
    KishCash wrote:
    Hi Guys

I REALLY would like to know the cheapest ( quickest too but mostly cheapest) way to get to Canterbury, kent University from London.

Can you believe that it is one of the few places that the Megabus doesnt go to!!

I need to come back and forth from London every so often because I work in the media and most of the media jobs are in the big smoke.

Thanks so much

I usually get an open return from https://www.thetrainline.com from Southend -> London -> Canterbury West and that costs £21.60. The entire journey takes three and a half hours. Best train I find to get is the 11:54 from Charing Cross, as that will get you to Canterbury at about 1:15 (it's a fast train, thankfully). Then to get to the University, you'll have to take a bus (4A/6) which is two minutes walk from the Canterbury West, that costs £1.30 for a single, £2 for a "day rider" which can be used on most buses the whole day - Canterbury West is closer to the University than Canterbury East, although Canterbury East is right next to the main bus station.

Although if you need to get to London from Canterbury after 6pm, there's a train once an hour and it stops at EVERY station. That was possibly the most annoying thing ever.

Checked thetrainline.com - and Canterbury->London is £12.15 for day return, £13.75 for five day return, £16.50 for open return (30 days).
  • KishCash
    Options
    Thanks Guys, I will be acting upon your advice
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills