Newcastle upon tyne

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
25 replies 1.5K views
badabingbadabing Forumite
595 Posts
Hi, i have never been to newcastle but there are 16 of us irish males going in June could you recommend some hotels in city centre for us...

Many Thanks
It's a great day for singing a song / It's a great day for moving along / It's a great day for morning to night / It's a great day for everybody's plight.

Your father pedals car telephones at a 300 percent markup. Your mother works on heavy commission at a camera store. Graduated to it from espresso machines. Hah!

Replies

• you could try the jury's inn, or there is a travel inn on the quayside.
    There is also the county thistle hotel at the central station.
    Try to get somewhere no too far from the city centre, the price difference is minimal and it will save you money in a taxi.
    I guess you will fly in, so get yourself on the metro into the city centre, Haymarket, monument or central station.
    If you are not sure which hotel to stay at or need some help, just pm me and i'll do my best.
  • If you stay at the travel inn next to the Tyne Bridge, watch out for the dirty pigeons who s**t on unsuspecting tourists.
    Just for one moment, thought I'd found my way.
  • Hi wow sounds like fun - just had a thought, I'm sure that the tall ships are coming to Newcastle June/July time and that will mean that hotels will get busy, sorry I can't remember exact dates.

PS You will have a fab time, I looooooove Newcastle!!!! :cool:
  • There's the brand new Hilton hotel on the Gateshead side of the Quayside. Check them out to see if they have any good deals on at the moment!
  • jaymac_2jaymac_2 Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    The tall ships are the end of July but early June will be Hoppings week on the Town Moor. The Gate is the place to go these days, bars, restaurants and cinemas all under one roof. Travelodge is a good economical bet, especially if they do another of their rooms for a tenner deals....but fitting 16 of you into one room might be a bit of a struggle!
  • badabingbadabing Forumite
    595 Posts
    thanks 4 ur replies, i have checked a few hotels out - jurys £102 per room b & b and thistle hotel £55 per person b & b pppn, think this sounds alrite as it is central & metro isnt 2 far away
    It's a great day for singing a song / It's a great day for moving along / It's a great day for morning to night / It's a great day for everybody's plight.

Your father pedals car telephones at a 300 percent markup. Your mother works on heavy commission at a camera store. Graduated to it from espresso machines. Hah!
  • Cheap hotel right in centre of city is Quality Inn - will always do a deal or use https://www.laterooms.com

Ped
  • I live in Newcastle and would advise you to stay at the Thistle hotel.
    It is very central to everything you will not need to get a taxi to the pubs and clubs, they are all within walking distance and that rate is not over the top.
    One word of caution, have you told the hotel that there are 16 of you.
    Some hotels don't want large numbers of men/women staying with them knowing that the odd pint or 12 of Brown Ale can get even the most hardened Irish drinker into a very drunken state!!
    Unless of course you are coming up to view the museums and architecture.
    The fun starts around 9/ 10ish in the evening head for the Bigg market get talking to the locals, Newcastle girls are very friendly and some are extremely attractive, and I'm sure that Irish accent will work wonders.
    You are guaranteed a good time and some dreadful hangovers!!!!
  • Thanks 4 all ur help. I think we r goin 2 book thistle as its so central & close 2 museums etc...........yeah rite.....

ps can u recommend something 2 do on sat afternoon, we want a few hours to kill b4 evening entertainment (nothing educational mind)

Thanks

• I've got just the thing and you lot being Irish this should be ideal.
    Are you into horse racing?
    If so, before you confirm your dates go to
    https://www.newcastle-racecourse.co.uk
    There is only one Saturday race meeting on June 25th.
    The football and rugby seasons are both over so apart from the gee gees there's not an awful lot for 16 lads to do other than have an "early start" by going to China town or down to the Quayside and having a liquid lunch.
    What days are you actually staying from to?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides