June 2010 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• OrangeFairy
    OrangeFairy Posts: 2,630
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hello all!!

I have spent a whopping £115 out of my £200 already! :eek:

Though that being said we are in pretty good shape. Just potatoes, veg, milk and yoghurts to buy through the month - and obviously the odd other thing that crops up! Plus we spent £20 at a closing down supermarket and grabbed a lot of bulk items to last a while!!!

Good Luck everyone
    Orange Fairy
    House Purchased April 19 :) CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb

• kunekune
    kunekune Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    I really need to economise this month. We have a holiday to pay for by the end of this week. There's enough money in the current account, but it may well get close to an overdraft by the end of the month if we're not careful. The car is booked in for an MOT next week ... The irony is that there is a lot coming in - I'll be sending off an invoice for some freelance work tomorrow, and I think it is well over £2000, also I am owed £300 reimbusement in relation to job interview costs, but won't get that for a few weeks as it is coming from overseas, and OH will finally get his 2008 & 2009 bonuses (ex-HBOS). But if we can manage to pay everything without drawing on the extras, we can pay some mortgage off. Which would be a good idea.

How much? Avert your eyes, sweethearts, because my normal Ocado bill, including booze, is around £200 a week. We don't exactly live cheap. Then we tend to end up with top ups of various kinds, and I sometimes buy lunch. Eeeeeeekkkkk. Yes, we can afford it at the moment, but we won't always be able to. And anyway, we need to improve our diet.

So the target this month is a total of £600 for the calendar month, to include lunches, booze and extras. I have a fair amount in, but we do have a party for the kids during the month.
    Mortgage started on 22.5.09 : £129,600
    Overpayments to date: £3000
    June grocery challenge: 400/600
  • lovelife_3
    lovelife_3 Posts: 155 Forumite
    Thank you for adding me to the list :T
    I am really looking forward to this challenge. We officially start today, but had a good omen yesterday! DH and me called in at Asda for a bottle of wine, and hit lucky timing wise, we spent £5.62, bearing in mind the wine was £4.00, we got 2 punnets of Brown Cap mushrooms, 5p each, two packs of Organic carrots 10p each, two packets fresh pineapple 10p each and over £3.00 worth of sliced topside of beef for £1.12. We had a lovely meal of Mushroom soup with beef and mustard sarnies in warm bread from the breadmaker :) The other day i got a massive bunch of Basil for 5p. I must try and work out what time they start to do the radical price markdowns, i wonder if there is a store policy on this?
  • tessasmum
    tessasmum Posts: 238 Forumite
    We'll have a better go at it this month - please put us down for £350. Thank you
    December GC: £350
  • lovelife wrote: »
    Thank you for adding me to the list :T
    I am really looking forward to this challenge. We officially start today, but had a good omen yesterday! DH and me called in at Asda for a bottle of wine, and hit lucky timing wise, we spent £5.62, bearing in mind the wine was £4.00, we got 2 punnets of Brown Cap mushrooms, 5p each, two packs of Organic carrots 10p each, two packets fresh pineapple 10p each and over £3.00 worth of sliced topside of beef for £1.12. We had a lovely meal of Mushroom soup with beef and mustard sarnies in warm bread from the breadmaker :) The other day i got a massive bunch of Basil for 5p. I must try and work out what time they start to do the radical price markdowns, i wonder if there is a store policy on this?

I know that alot of people on here seem to have "set" times at their local supermarkets but I have found it to be totally hit and miss in Tesco Sainsburys and Asda in my area. I never seem to find the kind of reductions you found - well done!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Gintotmelinda
    Gintotmelinda Posts: 1,734
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    edited 1 June 2010 at 9:32AM
    Hello everyone!

Here's a recipe you might like...

Sweet potato and pea curry

1 medium onion
    2 medium sweet potatoes
    couple handfuls frozen peas
    P*t*ks curry paste (Korma)
    tin tomatoes
    dried cumin
    dried coriander

serves 3

Method

Chop and fry onion in a little oil, and add the sweet potato peeled and diced-not too small. Stir in curry paste and add cumin and coriander. Continue frying then add a tin of tomatoes and some stock. Cook for about twenty minutes or until sweet potato is soft. Add frozen peas and cook for about 5 mins.

Serve with rice and naan bread-whatever your fave accompaniments are. OH likes mango chutney and riata in those little pots from Mr M.

It's half term and I am messing about at home.

Leftover bacon pasta for lunch yum, son has taken my car to work as it's raining, tumbledryer packed up yesterday,poorly cat shouting to go into the garden on her lead, not planning to spend today......... have a lovely day all.
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • Pablosmummy
    Pablosmummy Posts: 378
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh Gintotmelinda that curry looks gorg, I'll add it to my plan for next week, I really fancy a curry.

well I did my first shop of month on Saturday, spent £54.30!! :eek: then went back on Sunday and bought two crates of cider (not all for us, we had friends over!) but I'm taking that out of out entertainment budget as we havent had a drink for months! (which is probably why I still feel hungover, its awful - I am never drinking again!)

Today I'm going to sit down and try to plan the rest of the months meals,I've got loads in already so hopefully wont really need that much.

Also did anyone else see the recipe that was on gmtv today for the chicken stew? I really want to add it to my plan and I cant find it on the website :think: maybe they havent added it yet...
    May Grocery Challenge -£216/400
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Kadeeae wrote: »
    Heeellloooo to all newbies :hello: and good luck for June!
    Trying something different for us this month . . . we're trying to eat a bit more healthy so figured I try and do one big/first of the month online shop for paper/toiletries/cleaning products and any packaged foods (pasta & rice etc...) and then do a weekly trip to the butcher with top ups for milk, fruit & veg bits from the local co-op - hoping to stay clear of the big supermarkets.

Am still thinking it through as the 'big' order won't be placed for a couple of days yet, but figure it can't work if I don't try it, eh?! :rotfl:

That's the way I work and it seems to be ok. You just have to be reallly organised!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • patentgirl
    patentgirl Posts: 1,028
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Morning All

Been MIA last month and just got back from a dream holdiay to Alaska so really pulling in purse strings now!
    Thank you to Pink-winged, Mrs M and Rosieben for running the thread and please could you put me down for £180 for June.

Frugal challenge 2024

• KITTY_2-2
    KITTY_2-2 Posts: 263 Forumite
    Another spend yesterday (in Morrisons this time) of £29.86. Stocked up on yoghurts, pro biotic drinks, sausages, bacon and their own quorn style mince. This Slimming World stuff soon adds up, though hopefully I now have enough main food items for the week. I will still need more salad and veg and some store cupboard items but all in all not too bad so far.

Good luck for June, K
    :xmastree:
    Merry Christmas
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills