MSE News: HMRC admits sending 50,000 tax records to wrong households

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"In one instance, someone is understood to have received their boss's salary in the post ..."

Comments

• bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I guess Tax Office news these days is reporting when they don't lose data...
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Does this mean they can fine to the tax office, the same as the tax office would have if they had not returned there tax records correctly :think: :p
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Does this mean they can fine to the tax office, the same as the tax office would have if they had not returned there tax records correctly :think: :p

A bit pointless really since it would be taxpayers money used to pay the fine :o.
  • EverDecreasingCircles
    EverDecreasingCircles Posts: 6,679 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 May 2010 at 8:33PM
    I received someone's details last year from the EMA offices. They sent me the lad's bank statement, plus parents' details, including their annual earnings, address, dates of birth and NI numbers.

I rang the EMA people to tell them and they asked me to 'just send them back' to them. I refused and said I wanted to speak to someone in authority about it. They refused at first, then gave me the name and address of someone I could write to. Again I refused because I wasn't happy about what had happened and wanted reassurance that our details hadn't ended up at someone else's house and they said they'd get someone to phone me back - they never did.

Our bank statement and details didn't arrive back to us until months later.
    Biggest win: £10,000 from Pepsi
    Favourite win: Handmade jewellery worth £1000
    ITV Winners Club Member #1
    Check out the ITV Winners Club in IWIWIW
    I shall write in ever decreasing circles until I have nothing left to say
  • Pam17 wrote: »
    A bit pointless really since it would be taxpayers money used to pay the fine :o.

Yes, but only a little of it would be YOUR tax, so you would still be up a bit:p
  • emeraldbugle
    emeraldbugle Posts: 1,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Is there a need to print the National Insurance numbers on them? Could they partially block them out?
  • AlexUK_3
    AlexUK_3 Posts: 171 Forumite
    I just called them as my form hasn't arrived still even though they said it was posted on 4/5. Asked if it was one sent to someone else HMRC guy said no idea, who knows what has gone where!!!
  • Mupette
    Mupette Posts: 4,599 Forumite
    They did this last year, i had recived information about other children that were not mine, d.o.b's mothers bank details

I was assured mine were not given to anyone else, when i did not believe
    I then had to pay for extra protection on my bank account and cards. Why should i have to pay..

same with child benefit, they screwed up too
    GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))
  • skipsmum
    skipsmum Posts: 707 Forumite
    I got someone elses - Mr and Mrs Shipp, if you read this, I have sent it back!
    With Sparkles! :happylove And Shiny Things!
  • Years ago when I first went self-employed they wanted some details from me. They kept writing to me to tell me I had supplied the wrong details - which was clearly untrue. On about the fourth letter I noticed a reference number at the top which was almost identical to my NI number. I then wrote back pointing this out and told them that if this was meant to be my NI number then it was wrong. It was the last I ever heard of it. They're not very good at admitting when they screw up.

On another occasion (not the taxman this time), I received about fifteen gas bills through the post in one envelope - all for different people at different addresses. There didn't even seem to be any order about it as they were for various addresses in about a 20 mile radius of where I live. I only paid my own one :) .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure