Renting out your car

Options
Tried this after hearing about whipcar on radio 4. We own a sportscar that isn't used between 8am & 5pm daily and not much at weekends. thought could do with extra cash. No good with whipcar as they only go up to group 14 insurance. Car also needs to be less than 8 years old.

just thought you should know.

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 May 2010 at 11:50AM
    Options
    Did a search of cars near me.

Whip car offered 107 cars :) Nearly all were 20+ miles away; some were over 100 miles away :(

Interesting to see very few have ever been let, despite some members having been registered for over a month (quite a few have clearly signed up today, presumably on the back of the MSE email)

Was looking at the situation with fuel. Unlike professional rental companies which often let cars with a full tank and expect them to be returned likewaise (else suffer a refuelling charge), it appears here the cars are supplied with a minimum of 1/4 a tank and no mention of how much is expected to be left on return.

With rental from a minimum of 3 hours (about £18), it could be a source of cheap fuel for some?

Mind you, there needs to be some perks to the renter I suppose? Cars can be up to 8 years old and small sized cars are typically about £28 a day. I could hire a brand new one (well no older than 3 months old) from enterprise cars for £24.62 (that's not the smallest, and could be a 5 door - the smallest, e.g. a Ford Ka is £24.11) - a Ford Focus is only £28.81 per day
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • osbaldwick
    osbaldwick Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Prices for car rental have come down recently and as most hire cars are less than 12 months old, I would question whether the price difference for the hirer is really worth it. I would imagine there would be some significant insurance issues for the renter...
  • Max_1066
    Max_1066 Posts: 169 Forumite
    Options
    I thought this was a great idea however looking at the prices its cheaper to get a car from Enterprise .... and they come to collect you. I'd also be a bit concerned about the condition of the car. I'm sure the majority of cars will be ok however what if its not ??

There's no significant saving so its not worth the risk. Pity, because its a good idea.

p.s. Whipcar cover the insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport