Hard Disk Upgrade

in Techie Stuff
4 replies 587 views
RobbosevenRobboseven Forumite
91 Posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
Forumite
Being a regular tight wad I recently could not resist buying a new hard drive for my pc (old one 40g new one 160g).

Now, I can see that swapping the thing over is very straight forward and I've changed most components before but I would like to know if anybody out there knows the best FREE software for moving all the data from the old one to the new one and also any idea on how long it takes, how reliable the process is etc.

It's probably been asked on the site before but I'm buggnered if I can find it.
My friend drowned in a bowl of muesli.
He was pulled in by a strong currant.

Replies

• andyinlondonandyinlondon Forumite
    78 Posts
    Forumite
    well maxtor maxblast has a utility to do it built in, and it is a free download from the maxtor website. https://www.maxtor.com
    all you do is connect your new drive alongside your old one. let maxblast partition and format it and it will ask if you want to copy the old drive over.

but i have not used it

can recommend norton ghost as it has worked for me every time. but ghost is not free

altenativly there are lots of other bits of software out there and im sure lots are free, a quick google search will find loads.
    if at first you don't succeed then sky diving is not for you.
  • You don't say what make of hard drive you have but most hard drive manufacturers have a piece of software for this purpose.

Asuming that that your new drive came instruction it should give you details of their website and thus you should be able to find their download centre.

S.
  • DrvImagerXP (Windows 2000/XP)

and

XXCOPY (Windows 95/98/ME)

(both freeware) are reported to do a good job.

There's a tutorial for DrvImagerXP here.

Full discussion here.
    The true cost of something is what you give up to get it.
  • RobbosevenRobboseven Forumite
    91 Posts
    Forumite
    It's a Maxtor but came in an OEM brown box - I'll check out your advice and get cracking!!!

Thanks
    My friend drowned in a bowl of muesli.
    He was pulled in by a strong currant.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals