British Gas fixed rate tarrif 2012

Options
I'm a customer of British Gas and signed up to the fixed rate tarrif until 2012. I have paid £23 per month electricity and £38 per month for Gas. I received a bill from them today informing me of a direct debit increase. My Electricity is rising £32 and Gas £42. I was told by British Gas that it's a fixed tarrif not Direct Debit but I signed up to the fixed rate tarrif under the impression I would be fixed at the same price per month. I cannot afford the new monthly amount and I can't afford to pay for the cancellation fee so that I can switch to another provider. What can I do, I feel like I have been tricked. The person I spoke to at British Gas explained that I'm not the only one who feels this, which make me think that perhaps they have not clearly worded their terms and conditions.

Thank you for any help!

Comments

• ianbond
    ianbond Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi sounds as thou you should start by using the British Gas online meter reading entry and every other week submit a meter reading.

This means you remove the guestamate silly calculations they put in place which normally increases your Direct Debit.

From what I gather the tarrif price has not changed but you are either using more energy thus the direct debit goes up or you are recalculated and the automated system is thinking you need to pay more.
  • Joyful
    Joyful Posts: 2,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Self Employed, Running my Dream Jobs
  • beanoboy
    Options
    Indeed I did, however I wanted to see if I can get more advice as the advice I recieved didn't help.

Thanks.
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    beanoboy wrote: »
    Indeed I did, however I wanted to see if I can get more advice as the advice I recieved didn't help.

Thanks.

Didnt help or just not what you wanted to hear?

The only tariff available that offers a fixed direct debit amount is the staywarm tariff from E-on, all other fixed rate tariffs are just that fixed rate.

If you have been using more than you direct debits are covering do you not think you should pay for the extra fuel?

Would you prefer it if they left your direct debits too low and landed you with a huge bill for the outstanding amount later? (because thats the alternative)
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    beanoboy wrote: »

Thanks.

What do you mean by didn't help?

What sort of advice do you want to hear? That the BG tariff is like 'all you can eat' restaurants. i.e. you can use as much gas and electricity as you wish and still pay the same DD?

You could even run an extension cord to your neighbours and let them heat their house as it won't cost you extra;)
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,585 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    No one is going to say go to X and you will pay the same. You will end up paying more whoever you go to as prices have increased since the old BG price fix came into being.

If you want to pay the same you need to cut down your useage.
  • KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please cite a single term or condition that is unclearly worded (or, rather, suggests the rather strange (and wishful) interpretation you have made):

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/energy/fixedprice2012/t&c.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure