NPower Sign Online 18

Options
lovelldr
lovelldr Posts: 269 Forumite
Hi guys.

Just looked in to moving provider to try and save a little money. Previously was with ebico, and after working out my current average yearly consumption, have found that npower will be cheapest on the above plan... We received the paperwork stating all of the estimates and how they calculate the bill etc.

Anyway, after looking at this, it tells us how much they will be charging at primary rate and then the rest will be secondary rate. So, with electricity, they state that they will charge the first 2 units at primary rate throughout the year. For gas, in Nov, Dec, Jan & Feb, the maximum units charged at primary rate per month will be 882, in March it will be 272, etc, etc...

Anyway, having a look through the pricing when we signed up, it only states a single pricing with standing daily charge. It doesn't have any secondary rates.

So, does my understanding that all units used will be at the primary rate? Or is there a secondary rate that I have not seen anywhere?!

Just wanting some clarification that I'm doing a good move :p hehe.

Comments

• lovelldr
    Options
    Another quick query... I noticed that to get the correct price I was quoted, I need to ensure that I pay a full 12 months by direct debit to npower. After the 12 months, they will apply the £100 discount to the account. Now, after 30th June, I will automatically be switched over to the "Go Save" rate, which seems to be about £250 a year more than the Sign Online 18, so ideally I would be looking to change supplier as soon as the 12 month payments are paid, and the 30th June date has passed (so as not to incur exit fees).

Now, looking at the info about the move, they reckon it should take "5 to 6 weeks". So, my next question: If I chose to move to another supplier just after paying my 11 month direct debit, then surely this should cover me for the 12th month staying with them, and will likely be after 30th June (since I will have joined around the 22nd June to 30th June).

Will that all go through smoothly, or will they likely turn round telling me I've initiated the switch before the exit date, or before I've paid the 12th direct debit, and give me hassle?!

Many thanks in advance :)
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 25 May 2010 at 11:27AM
    Options
    I've just left npower after a year, here are my tips

1-make sure you sign up via a cashback site as npower offer quite generous amounts (around £80 upfront)

2- check you're being signed up to the correct named tariff as they have several similar (websaver is not the same as sign online) and you should be fine with costs, you can check your comparison site used the latest published figures too if you're worried.

3-yes you need to stay with them for the full 12 months to get the direct debit, do NOT initiate a switch away from Npower untill you've had the discount applied to your bill and you've seen a copy of it online or you're setting yourself up for alot of hassle (customer service are slow despite me harassing them daily after the 12 month anniversairy). no idea where you get the idea you'll be automatically switched after 30th june? never known them to do that or even say they'll do that before, is that something new?

4-Expect customer service to be very slow to get anything done and they only ever send you a bill once in a blue moon but thats npower. they also have a trick to put up your direct debit on grounds 'were going to assume you'll be doubling your gas + electricity use next year for no particular reason and hike up your DD to cover that useage' stick to your guns and argue based on historic annual kWH figures and they usually back down. Oh they'll also try to delay issuing your bill after the 12 months has passed, they'd have strung things out another 3 months if i'd not been chasing them.

Other than that if you get cashback on the way in and get out as soon as you can with the £100 discount they can work out quite cheap.

Also worth noting I was able to switch withing the year via a cashback site to get an extra £40 from them and move to a cheaper tariff after the first 3 months WITHOUT resetting the clock on the 12 month DD discount (ie i got it 9 months later, 12 months after my original npower join date) probably not guranteed but worth bearing in mind.
  • lovelldr
    Options
    JasX wrote: »
    I've just left npower after a year, here are my tips

1-make sure you sign up via a cashback site as npower offer quite generous amounts (around £80 upfront)

Yup, made sure I did that ... £80 thru quidco :)
    2- check you're being signed up to the correct named tariff as they have several similar (websaver is not the same as sign online) and you should be fine with costs, you can check your comparison site used the latest published figures too if you're worried.

Yup, says sign online 18 on all literature I have, so if not, then it's a breach of contract on their part is it not?!
    3-yes you need to stay with them for the full 12 months to get the direct debit, do NOT initiate a switch away from Npower untill you've had the discount applied to your bill and you've seen a copy of it online or you're setting yourself up for alot of hassle (customer service are slow despite me harassing them daily after the 12 month anniversairy). no idea where you get the idea you'll be automatically switched after 30th june? never known them to do that or even say they'll do that before, is that something new?

Guess will just do the switch after I have done the 12 month/30th June, whichever comes first. As for automically being switched after 30th June, that's in the t&c's:
    Offer Period
    These terms apply from the date when we agree we will supply you under our Sign Online 18 offer until 20th June 2011 or an earlier date on which you/we change your tariff/supplier and your Sign Online 18 Agreement ends. We call this the Sign Online 18 Period.

... a few more other things ...

When this Agreement ends
    If you continue to take supply from us at the end of your Sign Online 18 Period, we will place you on our standard online product ("Go-Save"), which may be more expensive than Sign Online 18.

Hence my asking about setting up a switch whilst I'd still be being supplied by npower, but by the time the switch completes, I'll have been paid the 12 months, had the discount applied to the account, and be past the 30th June date...
    4-Expect customer service to be very slow to get anything done and they only ever send you a bill once in a blue moon but thats npower. they also have a trick to put up your direct debit on grounds 'were going to assume you'll be doubling your gas + electricity use next year for no particular reason and hike up your DD to cover that useage' stick to your guns and argue based on historic annual kWH figures and they usually back down. Oh they'll also try to delay issuing your bill after the 12 months has passed, they'd have strung things out another 3 months if i'd not been chasing them.

I thought with the sign-online, all billing was done online, so I wouldn't be receiving a bill anyway would I (apart from possibly the final bill)?! Thanks for the tip about them putting the direct debits up. Will try to ensure they aren't sneeky!!!
    Other than that if you get cashback on the way in and get out as soon as you can with the £100 discount they can work out quite cheap.

Also worth noting I was able to switch withing the year via a cashback site to get an extra £40 from them and move to a cheaper tariff after the first 3 months WITHOUT resetting the clock on the 12 month DD discount (ie i got it 9 months later, 12 months after my original npower join date) probably not guranteed but worth bearing in mind.

OK, dunno how you managed that?! Would be happy of the tip tho :) Altho I guess knowing my luck, they'll say I've left and charge me the £40 exit fee or whatever!

Thanks again for your helps :)
  • JasX
    JasX Posts: 3,996 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lovelldr wrote: »
    As for automically being switched after 30th June, that's in the t&c's:
    ahh that must be new :j

I thought with the sign-online, all billing was done online, so I wouldn't be receiving a bill anyway would I (apart from possibly the final bill)?!

Yes but they 'produce' the same bill they'd mail you as a .pdf and post it online where you can go check it.

IMO they have the worst online account management I've seen of any energy company, there is virtually zero information on there apart from your .pdf 'bills' which they won't produce more frequently than every 7-8 months if you're lucky no matter how frequently you send them readings
    OK, dunno how you managed that?! Wthey'll say I've left and charge me the £40 exit fee or whatever!

In the first instance i was on a non-exit fee tariff, probably gets a bit risky otherwise...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure