Speeding Ticket lost in the Mail?

Options
I still haven’t received my speeding ticket/notice through the post! (over 21 days) - How can I find out if one was served at all?

Thanks in Advence

Comments

• g33za
    g33za Posts: 706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    usually a ticket must be issued within 14 days (except if its a hired car), if you got flashed by a speed camera then you are probably lucky that it had run out of film or they decided not to prosecute.
    ummm...
  • ronnyb_2
    ronnyb_2 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    You don't say if you were flashed by a camera or told you'd be reported by the Police?
  • Lob_Rockster
    Options
    assuming camera: if you don't have a NIP, you don't have a NIP. Simple.

Things, however, to consider:
    if the car is a lease/hire/company car, the Registered Keeper might not be you
    if you moved house or changed ownership of the vehicle recently, it might have gone to a last-registered address

If these are not the case and your name and address is on the V5 and has been for 3+ months, if you do get a NIP, write back and tell them it wasn't served within 14 days.
    In the United Kingdom 200,000 people are bitten by dogs every year and some people will die as a result. Of those bitten, 70% are children... So the question has to be asked....... Has the time come to ban children?
  • steve_r123
    steve_r123 Posts: 512 Forumite
    Options
    I got my NIP over 4 weeks after the offence. No postmark on the envelope, and the date of the NIP was 13 days after the offence, so they were in time according to the police.

I was speeding, I was caught so I wont try and wriggle out of it (I think you actually have to go to court to try and do this, rather than plead guilty by post for minor offences). As long as they issue the NIP within 14 days they have done their bit.

The forum on https://www.traffic-answers.com is a wealth of information. :)
  • martin1018
    martin1018 Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    I believe that as long as the camera unit posted the NIP within 14 days then you loose regardless of it getting lost in the post or not. I'm sure the 'It was lost in the post' excuse is often used, but proving it to the satisfaction of a magistrate is another matter.
    Just because it flashed does not mean that it was you that triggered it, or that even if it was you, that you will get done. The camera may not even be in that machine, or it may be faulty.
    It was reported in my local evening paper last week that cameras at roadworks here could not be used as the roadmarkings were incorrectly placed. For a number of months the beasties flashed at numerous motorists but no-one got done!

So there is always hope. After 21 days I would rest easy. And slow down.
  • Lob_Rockster
    Options
    steve_r123 wrote:
    I got my NIP over 4 weeks after the offence. No postmark on the envelope, and the date of the NIP was 13 days after the offence, so they were in time according to the police.

I was speeding, I was caught so I wont try and wriggle out of it (I think you actually have to go to court to try and do this, rather than plead guilty by post for minor offences). As long as they issue the NIP within 14 days they have done their bit.

The forum on https://www.traffic-answers.com is a wealth of information. :)
    wrong. Timed-out NIP.
    www.pepipoo.com is far superior, sorry.
    http://www.pepipoo.com/NIP.htm
    and specifically this thread:
    http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=87
    you just took points and fine for nothing because you've played the system their way - and they just want your £60 :)
    In the United Kingdom 200,000 people are bitten by dogs every year and some people will die as a result. Of those bitten, 70% are children... So the question has to be asked....... Has the time come to ban children?
  • Whits
    Whits Posts: 213 Forumite
    Options
    If that's the same Lob Rockster from a different forum I frequent then he's almost always right, a wealth of useless and sometimes useful information:D
  • Uncle_Fester_2
    Options
    Thanks for everyone’s input.

I was flashed while doing 10 over the limit (40) on a dual carriageway.

But the thing is, could the NIP be lost in the mail? Is there any way of finding out, if or when it was issued? How can I prove I didn’t receive it?
  • Lob_Rockster
    Options
    stand up in court under oath and state you did not receive it. Print this thread as evidence, too.

Needs a NIP to turn up and you to reply and then ignore the COFP and plead not guilty in court mind you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure