Moving a single divan bed

HI,

As it says on the tin, tonight, i need to move a single divan bed approximately 40 miles.

I have the use of a transit if i like, but i then have to return the van the 40 miles again this evening so its a mega round trip and means i wont get anywhere fast (as i would then have to drive the original 40 miles again to sleep in said bed tonight)

So, i am wondering, would a single divan bed and a mattress fit inside an estate car?

We also have those at work and if i could move it in that then i would be able to return the car when i come to work tomorrow morning avoiding a second round trip (and saving me some petrol)

My gramp was going to move it for me in his quasquai but he is now in hospital :( and as much as i want an easy life, im not driving that without insurance (even though he has insisted it will be fine, bless old people lol)

Advice on how best to do it would be most welcome :)

Thanks

Puzzled xx

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154
    Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    Easiest way, if you are at work is to borrow the keys and measure it (even if you have to use a 30cm ruler - that is 1ft). Allow 6ft for length and then 3ft wide, and at least 2ft to close the door - you may be able to compress the mattress a bit if height is a problem near the door (some doors slope so you lose length as you go up).

My guess is that you are going to need a big estate car to do it - you wouldn't quite get one in a Zafira as that only takes 5ft lying flat. That I think is an Astra estate chassis (or near enough) so you are going to need to be looking at a Vectra/Mondeo size estate to even stand a chance.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Puzzledbubbles
    Puzzledbubbles Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    WestonDave wrote: »
    Easiest way, if you are at work is to borrow the keys and measure it (even if you have to use a 30cm ruler - that is 1ft). Allow 6ft for length and then 3ft wide, and at least 2ft to close the door - you may be able to compress the mattress a bit if height is a problem near the door (some doors slope so you lose length as you go up).

My guess is that you are going to need a big estate car to do it - you wouldn't quite get one in a Zafira as that only takes 5ft lying flat. That I think is an Astra estate chassis (or near enough) so you are going to need to be looking at a Vectra/Mondeo size estate to even stand a chance.

Thank you, i was thinking about going out too look, it is a skoda estate, which is actually quite easy to drive, much easier than the van lol

Is there anything illeagle about using it with the boot open on the estate?

thank you again

Puzzled
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    ive moved lots of single beds inside small vans and estate cars.
    with the boot open and tied down with string.

not recommended for the motorway though.
    Get some gorm.
  • Puzzledbubbles
    Puzzledbubbles Posts: 1,853 Forumite
    thanks, on speaking with our logistics manager the only vehicle i can have is the van, never mind ay, loads of room for it to roll around lol
  • Tim_Deegan
    Tim_Deegan Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    At a guess I would say that you would probably have to tie the tailgate down, as the bed will probably stick out of the back.

A standard single bed is 3' wide by 6'3" long. It would depend on the model as to how high it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure