🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Son in America---advice please?

Options
Hi
My 20 year old son is in his 7th week in California coaching soccer. Each week they move to a different town and he always lets me know when they have arrived. He told me they are going up to Trinity County this week and the drive from Santa Maria in Santa Barbara(where they were last week) was to be about 8 hours. He is with 3 other coaches and the ones that are over 21 are allowed to drive.He rang me yesterday from San Francisco and said they were having an overnight stop there.He then rang to say they were on the road again and 2 hours from their destination.That was at 8 0 clock our time last night and I havent heard from him since.
My OH is telling me not to worry as the area they are going to is classed as Wilderness
forests, mountains etc!!!and probably no signal!!
I have been awake most of the night checking my mobile for a message(I know i probably sound crazy as he is 20 but still my baby!!!)I also havent had an email and his girlfriend hasnt heard from him! I am not sure whether to ring the company he is with and ask if they can find out if they have arrived ok? Any advice welcome----maybe i am just over reacting! Once he is at his destination I can relax---it is just the long drives that worry me!
x
Sealed pot challenge 7...my number is 2144.....started Nov 29th ....

Comments

• hankc35
    hankc35 Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I am not sure whether to ring the company he is with and ask if they can find out if they have arrived ok?

If there was a problem that the company new about would they be able to contact you? What I mean is if there was a problem you would probably have been told?

If your totally worried why not phone his mobile, if you get the answer machine its probably due to not having a signal?
  • ooobedoo
    ooobedoo Posts: 1,019 Forumite
    Options
    any word yet?
    Oh....I'm not going to lie to you......At the end of the day, when alls said and done......do you know what I mean.........TIDY
  • kay74
    kay74 Posts: 129 Forumite
    Options
    i'd be exactly the same. hope all ok - sure it is. They don;t tell you about these worries in Mothercare.
    k x
  • gingercordial
    Options
    Neither the BBC nor CNN (see http://www.cnn.com/LOCAL/west/ for California news) has stories on anything bad happening to a coach.

He's probably either out of range, out of battery or having far too good a time to phone home! Try not to worry, but give him hell when he does call you!
  • lisele
    lisele Posts: 32 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I'm from california. The mobile reception in the hills is appalling to non-existent, and I'm just thinking of the hollywood hills above LA so it's probably worse being in actual wilderness. I understand why you're worried but he's probably fine. If he's in the middle of nowhere, he won't be able to email either so that shouldn't be a cause for alarm.

When I was at uni, my mom would worry if I didn't call her back the same day, and I was only 2 hours away from home. :)

Take care. lisele
  • Angel777
    Angel777 Posts: 913 Forumite
    Options
    I do hope that everything is okay and i am sure it will be.

I know i have given my mum sleepless nights due to not calling etc and it has normally been me being careless!

Running out of battery, thinking oh i will call tommorrow etc.

Sure everything will be fine, take care

:)
  • rjh090384
    rjh090384 Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    did u ever watch the hills have eyes?

only kidding im sure he is all good!!
    love you lots like jelly tots :o
  • Felicity
    Felicity Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Options
    I am sure he will be fine, but I totally understand why you are worried. If I haven't heard from my hubby when I am supposed to (when he is away with work etc) I start pacing the walls!!!

We don't have children yet, but I know I will be the same when we do!

I hope you hear from him soon. He is probably worried about not calling you if he can't get to a phone.
  • ailuro2
    ailuro2 Posts: 7,535 Forumite
    Options
    I also know people in San Francisco who visit relatives in the hill area surrounding there, and they let us know they won't be reachable while he's up there.They just cannot get a signal. Keep an eye on your e-mail, he may find access to a pc at some point and drop you an e-mail instead if he has access.

The fact he has phoned every time they moved in the past means he's probably feeling bad too, so you're not alone being stressed.

Hope you hear soon.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • kate1976
    kate1976 Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Options
    I hope you hear from him soon, I also know people in the hills and as has been said the reception is terrible!

Easier said than done but try not to worry too much, he'll call as soon as he can!
    Kate
    xxx
    :Axxx
    "A bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather
    and ask for it back when it begins to rain."

Stay safe, stay sane, stay smiley!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing