Help with working out gas and electric bill?

Options
Hiya

Am hoping someone can help me work out a gas and electric bill - have been pouring over different websites claiming they help you work this out and have only gotten myself more confused!

the bills are from npower

elec 261 units
gas 37 units

on the bill it says

elec: 1st 284 at 14.460p
then @ 12.300p

gas: 1st 938@ 8.360p

I know the gas meter is in cubic meters but i don't know about the electric - not sure if the same measurement thing applies to the electric - can find out if it does though

only need a rough idea of bill costs, and i know i could phone them to ask but costs an absolute fortune on mobile phone so any help at all great appreciated

Comments

• notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    My word that is a low bill!
    The electric unit is a kwh so your electric is 261 times 14.461p = £33.77
    The gas unit needs to be converted to kwh, you can do this approximately by multiplying by 11.2, so that is 37 times 11.2 = 414, so the cost is 414 times 8.36p = £34.61.
    In both cases you have not used enough gas/electric to move onto the lower rate.
  • blossums
    Options
    Thanks so much!
    was out of the country for most of that so it seems incredibly high to me!
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    blossums wrote: »
    only need a rough idea of bill costs, and i know i could phone them to ask but costs an absolute fortune on mobile phone so any help at all great appreciated

If you still want to call them try this number I got off saynoto0870.com
    0800 0733000 there are plenty of other numbers at the site to try if this does not work.(Make sure you use landline to get the call for free)
  • blossums
    Options
    thor wrote: »
    If you still want to call them try this number I got off saynoto0870.com
    0800 0733000 there are plenty of other numbers at the site to try if this does not work.(Make sure you use landline to get the call for free)

thanks for that, no landline tho!
  • sh9190
    sh9190 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Npower electricity - use 2 units per day per quarter on the higher unit rate (728 units per year) then any after on the lower rate.

,Power gas - use 4572 units per year on the higher rate (divided into monthly thresholds varying from 47 to 882 per month, see npower website/tariff sheet for details) then any after on the lower rate.

This is for their no standing charge option.

Both gas and electric are charged per kilowatt hour (kWH)

For electricity this is done by the meter reading

For gas it is done by using a conversion calculation (meter units x correction factor of 1.12 x calorific value of 39.6) ÷ 3.6 = number of kWH used.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure