Free energy monitors???

Options
MCMitten
MCMitten Posts: 1,268 Forumite
Does anyone know where i can get a free energy monitor. My neighbour got one and she is with British gas, but I am with Scottish Power and they dont seem to do them. I dont want to change energy provider, so is there any other companies that do them?
Every time life knocks me down, I just stay on the ground for a bit and look up at the sky for a while. Eventually I get up and have a cup of tea.

Comments

• Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    I think most have stopped offering them for free now unless you are a customer, you could try your local library to see if you can borrow one?
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • PeterDuckett
    PeterDuckett Posts: 91 Forumite
    Options
    Or spend £20 at Tescos or watch the meter and record it weekly on imeasure
  • Scottish_Power
    Scottish_Power Posts: 1,263 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi michele stewart

Have a look at our website through the link below. I am not aware of any offers at the moment promoting free energy monitors.

https://scottishpowershop.co.uk/

Kind Regards

Colin @ ScottishPower
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Scottish Power. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Plushchris
    Plushchris Posts: 3,592 Forumite
    Options
    Personally I wouldnt spend money on one, I got one free from Bitish gas a while back, its handy to see what you are using for a while and make the needed cutbacks, but there is only so much you can do.

Havent used mine in a couple of months, I've lent it to a friend
    Missing Tesco R&R since Feb '07 :A & now a "Tesco veteran" apparently! ;)
  • MrsMalthouse
    MrsMalthouse Posts: 115 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I have an Npower monitor and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to find out my volt, unit costs etc as it needs them in order to work out what I'm using etc? Any help would be appreciated!
  • MCMitten
    MCMitten Posts: 1,268 Forumite
    Options
    Colin @ Scottish power- Thanx for the link. There's no freebies at the moment, but they've got a 15% discount on them just now :)

Plushchris- I think it would be good to have one in our house. It would give us a little nudge in the right direction if we could actually see what we're using. It would also give a certain someone abit more encouragement to turn off the light in the toy cupboard while he's playing with the toys he's dragged out n would maybe remind me to switch off the washing machine at the socket when it's finished :o Even if it gets us into the habit of doing these things regularly, I think it would bve worth it :)

Mrsmalthouse- No problem :) Unfortunately I cant be of any help to you though
    Every time life knocks me down, I just stay on the ground for a bit and look up at the sky for a while. Eventually I get up and have a cup of tea.
  • sh9190
    sh9190 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Companies often give new customers signing up to "green" tariffs free electicity monitors. Go on each suppliers website and have a look for the details of their tariff and I'm sure you will be able to find ones there.
  • 4$£&*(£$&*(!
    Options
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I have an Npower monitor and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to find out my volt, unit costs etc as it needs them in order to work out what I'm using etc? Any help would be appreciated!

Voltage should be set at 240v (there is a common misconception we used to be 240v then an EU directive set all Europe for 230v - this directive was introduced but with an allowance to go 10% over or 6% under, in practice this means the UK can operate anywhere between 216v-253v which means 240v nicely sits in the middle which is what we did before the directive so nothing has changed). I have only mentioned this as I promise you if I didn't someone will have mentioned it and shouted 'you're wrong!'. Hook an oscilloscope up, that verifies I'm not wrong.

Unit cost, you can do this one of two ways. Simple way - look on your bill, find out how much per unit you are charged. Put that in and you should be up and running. More complicated but slightly more informative way - divide your total electric bill price between the number of units you have used for that period and then you are including any standing charge there, which means the price on your monitor will be far closer to the price you actually pay. (If your usage alters significantly you will need to tweak this from time to time by using the same calculation when your next bill comes in and putting that cost on the monitor).

For some reason I have been sent five monitors recently, three from British Gas and two from NPower. Conversely to some people on this thread I wish they would stop sending me them although I have ended up with quite a nice one from NPower which flashes red and bleeps if you go over a certain amount of power.
  • Tashja
    Tashja Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

E.on are offering free meter for new customers. It was advertised on TV the other day. We are with Scottish Power but after years of problems we are now in a position to move so thi offer caught our eye.

http://www.eonenergy.com/

It is the Energy Fit Starter Pack.

HTH

T xx
  • Brb
    Brb Posts: 472 Forumite
    Options
    I don't know about your income but if it's low (working familys tax credit etc), or someone in household over 70 then BG are still giving some away for free and no you don't need to be with them. Benefits ref is normally your NI number.

You can have energy monitor and/or standby saver :)

As I can't post links you need to go to british gas co uk webiste /productoffers

If a more established member cost post link I would appreciate it thanks :D

Enter code EF3
    Inside this body lays one of a skinny woman
    but I can usually shut her up with chocolate!

When I thank a post in a thread I've not posted in,
    it means that I agree with that post and have nothing further to add.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure