NPower Business Electricity And Gas Help!

Options
buffness
buffness Posts: 233 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hey all,

Can somebody help me please?

My father owns an off-licence and stupidly, he signed up for a Fixed Term Supply with NPower that started in the year 2006 for 5 years!

The bills he is receiving is horrendous - he is currently paying £420.00 per month for his electric.

He has called NPower who said he cannot come out of the contract until 1st Septemer 2011.

The reason he signed up for this is because his English is not very good and the salesman who came to his residential address did not tell him that it was a 5 year contract. However, it does state on the contract that the term is for "FIVE" years so I am thinking he has to stay in it no matter what.

Is there ANYTHING he can do to come out of this?

Kind regards

Vijay

Comments

• dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi buffness - These Utility supply contracts have become such a scandal that Ofgem, the regulator introduced new rules in Jan this year, but these are not retrospective so I'm afraid your F/ inlaw is stuck till the contract ends.

Important Even tho' this contract runs for 5 years, it's likely to have a very closely worded
    procedure as to how to cancel the contract when it ends, which if not followed to the letter, will allow N'power to automatically renew the contract.
    It's vital that you read the small print in this contract to see what the cancelation procedure is at the contract's end, and note what you must do and when, to cancel it

For more info, Google Ofgem and enter "microbusinesses" in to the search box in the top right hand corner of the opening page
    Good Luck
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport