Halifax Loan

Options
Hi Guys,

Just after some thoughts on the reason why I am considering taking on Halifax for mis-selling PPI with my loan which I have found out I have been paying the last three years.

Just reviewing the Demands & Needs statement, I came across this interesting point :-

Suitability

We have identified that you have a need for additional involuntary unemployment, Accident/sickness & disability, Lie and Critical illness cover.

It's the 'we have identified you have a need' part that hits me a bit, as being a Civil Servant, I am covered in all aspects of this with my job which was explained to the representative over the phone and is documented in my contract 'occupation'.

Could this be a mis-selling incident ? Incidentally, my Customer Copy of the Loan Agreement has no tick in the box next to the PPI declaration. It isn't signed by me but has the electronic signatue of a Halifax representative.

Comments

• di3004
    di3004 Posts: 42,579 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Just after some thoughts on the reason why I am considering taking on Halifax for mis-selling PPI with my loan which I have found out I have been paying the last three years.

Just reviewing the Demands & Needs statement, I came across this interesting point :-

Suitability

We have identified that you have a need for additional involuntary unemployment, Accident/sickness & disability, Lie and Critical illness cover.

It's the 'we have identified you have a need' part that hits me a bit, as being a Civil Servant, I am covered in all aspects of this with my job which was explained to the representative over the phone and is documented in my contract 'occupation'.

Could this be a mis-selling incident ? Incidentally, my Customer Copy of the Loan Agreement has no tick in the box next to the PPI declaration. It isn't signed by me but has the electronic signatue of a Halifax representative.

Hi there

Personally I think you have a good case here going by what you have said.

Have you also checked the guidelines of reclaiming, with other reasons that may apply to you as well?
    There is also a questionnaire recently issued by the FOS (Financial ombudsman service), complete and send to whom is responsible for setting this up, they have 8 weeks in full to respond.
    Keep completed copies as well in case you need to refer to it later on for any reason.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance

Good luck and please let us know how you get on.;)
    The one and only "Dizzy Di" :D
  • jon_leigh80
    Options
    Hi,

Just to keep you informed. Sent my questionnaire and covering letter recorded delivery on the 28th May. Had a phonecall this week (8th June) from a Halifax representative, querying what address to post their response back to (moving house soon so gave them two). Expecting a reply anyime now. Seems rather quick how they have dealt with it.

Will let you know the outcome.
  • di3004
    Options
    Hi,

Just to keep you informed. Sent my questionnaire and covering letter recorded delivery on the 28th May. Had a phonecall this week (8th June) from a Halifax representative, querying what address to post their response back to (moving house soon so gave them two). Expecting a reply anyime now. Seems rather quick how they have dealt with it.

Will let you know the outcome.

Hi

Thanks for your update, fingers crossed.
    Good luck with the move and hope for a good outcome for you as well with this reclaim, we look forward to hearing the outcome.;)
  • jon_leigh80
    Options
    Just an update.

Halifax wrote a lengthy letter back stating that they had no evidence to suggest that they had mis-sold me the policy and they were in their right to justify advising me that I should take out the policy. I am off to the Ombundsman now !
  • di3004
    Options
    Just an update.

Halifax wrote a lengthy letter back stating that they had no evidence to suggest that they had mis-sold me the policy and they were in their right to justify advising me that I should take out the policy. I am off to the Ombundsman now !

Hi there

Was that the final response?

Or did they give you the opportunity to write back with further information?

I take it then, they have enclosed the details of the FOS/leaflet etc?
    Good luck.;)
  • jon_leigh80
    Options
    Hi Di,

This was their final response. It basically was their reply to the standard questionnaire. They enclosed the leaflet and told me if I had any queries to ring them up in person.
  • di3004
    Options
    Hi Di,

This was their final response. It basically was their reply to the standard questionnaire. They enclosed the leaflet and told me if I had any queries to ring them up in person.

Hi

Right I see.

Just a suggestion though, I find that even on final responses, if you write back with further information it is known that banks have still changed their decision.

It have happened with several people, for example, by writing back tell them the FSA are punishing banks for not investigating properly, and I feel mine is one of those complaints, and I am requesting you to relook into my complaint and take in MY reasons to account, despite your findings, I stongly believe with my reasons I was mis sold my PPI policy and If I hear nothing from you by 7 days, I assume you have kept to the same decision of not upholding my complaint, where I will then continue to complain to the Financial ombudsman service (FOS) with the evidence I have to support my case.

Also then state, this will occur to further charges to them if the FOS uphold in my favour, where you will also request to look into further redress for yourself on top of the PPI, for distress and inconvenience.

Its up to you of course, but if they do not get back by 7 days, then you know then to continue with the FOS.

Either way, fingers crossed for you.;)
  • jon_leigh80
    Options
    Di,

Many thanks for the advice. Will carry that out.

:-)
  • Andy_Boro_2
    Andy_Boro_2 Posts: 163 Forumite
    edited 2 August 2010 at 8:26PM
    Options
    i like the sound of that Di very forceful :)
  • roonaldo
    roonaldo Posts: 3,420 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Suitability

Sorry how does being a civil servant mean that PPI is unsuitable? PPI can pay out in addition to sick pay and redundancy, meaning you would be better off. anyone in a permanent job can get sick pay or redundancy (even if its statatory from the government)
    Just wondering out of interest thats all, as I keep hearing people say this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport