MFI Bathroom fitting service

Options
Hi,

I am trying to get my bathroom re-done and MFI does a bathroom fitting service. Has anyone used them before? Are they any good?

- K
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:

Comments

• vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    They were quoting a 'rough' figure, of around £1200 for a 3 piece suite (this is without going for the planning 'consultation).

Attractions were that they'd do the entire job, as well as provide required gas/electric certification & proper rubbish removal.

Then add ons would be stripping & re-tiling & any supplementary work required.

Think it could have ended up expensive.

Better route, as most things, get local recommendation people, if possible.

VB
  • itgirlinuk
    itgirlinuk Posts: 465 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I tried the local route. One guy wants to charge me £5000 for just labour and this does not include painting (it does include tiling though) and another guy wants to charge me £2000 for the same job. Such a marked difference.

Hence, the MFI rough quote. Will the price go up after the "planning consultation?" then?

Any other firms do the same?
    The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket. :rolleyes:
  • Alan_M_2
    Alan_M_2 Posts: 2,752 Forumite
    Options
    Don't get rough quotes or ballpark figures, get someone in for a detailled quote quote, tell them exactly what you want and make sure you get a comprehensive quote which says clearly what you want doing and what you don't want doing.

Until you're clear with your requirements the people quoting will have no idea if you want to spend £1,500 or £15,000, it's up to you to set your budget.
  • Fraserca
    Fraserca Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    itgirlinuk wrote:
    I tried the local route. One guy wants to charge me £5000 for just labour and this does not include painting

Is he planning to rebuild your house ? Sounds a complete rip off.

As others suggest , get a firm quote in writing from someone with a proper address that you can verify. Get an idea of how long he intends to spend on it so you can then work out his hourly rate.

The guy above sounds like he wants £100 an hour .... !!
    qui tacet consentire -

Who is silent gives consent.
  • Skiduck
    Skiduck Posts: 1,973 Forumite
    Options
    Alan_M wrote:
    Don't get rough quotes or ballpark figures, get someone in for a detailled quote quote, tell them exactly what you want and make sure you get a comprehensive quote which says clearly what you want doing and what you don't want doing.

Until you're clear with your requirements the people quoting will have no idea if you want to spend £1,500 or £15,000, it's up to you to set your budget.

How can anyone give an exact quote? We reduce our price if our works take less labour and materials and increase it if it takes more. You won't know what a job will cost until you start work on it. Too many people have latent defects in their houses, if you want someone to give you a cheap quote and stick to it, get a cowboy in.
  • Fraserca
    Fraserca Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Most reputable firms will take the rough with the smooth and factor in the possibility of a job costing a little more than the estimate. They will also put in an option that if there is an unexpected problem ( damp, poor fixing surfaces or other problems ) that they will revise the estimate after consulting the owner.

I'm sorry Skiduck but sadly for you there are reputable companies, contractors and individuals out there that give firm estimates and try their best to stick to them, taking the rough with the smooth.

Oh and BTW Materials costs can be easily estimated accurately by simply adding up quantity of materials ( tiles etc), alowing for wastage, profit and a contingency in case of minor errors or changes to the spec.

Its not rocket science or Wembley Stadium..... Its a bathroom..
    qui tacet consentire -

Who is silent gives consent.
  • itgirlinuk
    Options
    I had the guys come in and give me an exact quote. And according to him, he is taking the rough with the smooth. so he is going to stick to the quote! and its going to cost me £4800 to be precise. And that does not include fittings and grout.

And he said it would take him 2-3 weeks to get the job done. Does bathrooms take such a long time to fit?
  • girlsmum
    girlsmum Posts: 470 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Dh is a kitchen and bathroom fitter and he is fitting a bathroom for someone this week and that includes re laying a rotten floor so the full works and is charging £950 the customer pays for the suite tiles grout etc.

Yes MFi does do the work, but the fitters are not necessarily employed by MFI ( i know B&Q they are all Self employed) on the plus side you have some guarentee, but you are paying for it.
    if you get a good recomended local fitter you will also get the guarantee, if there is a problem with anything DH has done he allways goes to rectify it as he gets lots of his work through recomendation.

shop around first ask for references and make sure you get the price in writing

meant to add he estimates it will take about 6 days
  • bhafc810
    bhafc810 Posts: 11,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had MFI fit our Kitchen the kitchen fitter was great but MFI offered a shoddy service wouldn't use them again

We paid £350 from a local plumming firm to have our new 3 piece suite fitted, done in a day.
    Back comping Nov 2021

Wins
    3 pens
    £10 Odeon Cinema Voucher
  • Gorgeous_George
    Options
    The cost is less if the new items are being installed in the same place as the old ones. Moving a loo, for example, could add significantly to the overall cost. I wanted to move things around but decided against it in the end. I took the cast iron bath out myself with a hammer (!) and helped a plumber (from the pub) fit a new steel bath. I paid him about £150 for his help over the weekend - and a few beers!

I was quoted £40 per sq metre to tile my bathroom (I had to buy the tiles etc.). I chose to tile it myself. With careful preparation it wasn't difficult and looks the biz if I do say so myself. 8 sq metres would have come to £320 and I completed the work in less than a weekend. It included tiling around two windows and some additional intricate cutting to fit some of the feature tiles at an angle (cutting the base tiles accordingly).

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure