Install a gas heating system

Options
hamblip
hamblip Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi

Hope somebody can help.

Me and my girlfriend are looking to purchase our first house. We have come across a nice property with one draw back - it currently has night storage heating.

What we would ideally like to do is have that removed, and a gas central heating system installed. This by the looks of other posts, would have to include a boiler, water tank (or combi boiler), pipes and radiators, for a two bedroom house which already has mains gas supply with an emmersion heater.

Would the cost of installing this outway the benifits of a more economical heating system.

As we are looking to purchase, we haven't yet had any quotes (though we will post once we have one), but if anybody has an idea of what would be a resonable quote we would be very gratfull, or any national companys ie British gas that you might recomend.

Thanks

Comments

• lemontart
    lemontart Posts: 6,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    first thing to check is it currently an all electric house or do they already have a gas supply in use i.e. gas cooker or gas fire in use at the property.

If all electric have they got any gas pipes going into/on property ?
    if yes, then next question is how long since gas has been used at house ? if less than two years you would need to arrange a live or dead check on said pipes if live great just need to register with supplier and get meter installed if dead or more than 2 years you will need a new gas supply installing - which is of course a cost on top of central heating
    I am responsible me, myself and I alone I am not the keeper others thoughts and words.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,038 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    As you have gas to the property, get a quote from BG.

That quote will be the 'benchmark' and considerably more expensive than most(all?) others.

Then get quotes from other local plumbers and make sure the quote covers exactly the same specification. - particularly the boiler.

I would guess £4000 might be a ballpark figure?

It is not just the running costs to be considered, there is the convenience of Gas CH and of course any money spent will be reflected in the value of your property.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    With gas already laid on, it will probablyadd more value to the house than it costs, especially as storage heaters usually score quite poorly on energy certificates.

You might have to have a new hot water cylinder if the old one doesn't comply to current building regs. Or you could have a combi and probably gain some storage space.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • PeterDuckett
    Options
    I have just had my old heating system all ripped out and relayed (7 rads, 1 towel) Worcester bosch boiler combi for £3000 all in the Midlands. some did come in cheaper but not to the standard I wanted I.e copper pipe and pipes hidden in the floor.

Also saved about 30% of my gas comparied to last year so might pay for its self in 5 years
  • Cardew
    Options
    I have just had my old heating system all ripped out and relayed (7 rads, 1 towel) Worcester bosch boiler combi for £3000 all in the Midlands. some did come in cheaper but not to the standard I wanted I.e copper pipe and pipes hidden in the floor.

Also saved about 30% of my gas comparied to last year so might pay for its self in 5 years

Wow you use a lot of gas!!

You will need to save about £600 a year(£700 if you take into account lost interest on the £3000) to pay back £3000 in 5 years.

So you were spending around £2,000 a year on gas, you have saved 30%(ie £600) and with a modern new combi you are 'only' going to spend £1,400.:eek:

That is still a huge amount of gas(around 46,000kWH) for a property with only 7 radiators.

Are you sure of your calculations?
  • PeterDuckett
    Options
    lol some one has to investigate a tongue and cheek comment don't they any way it MIGHT be 6 years then
  • Cardew
    Options
    lol some one has to investigate a tongue and cheek comment don't they any way it MIGHT be 6 years then

It MIGHT be 20 years then;)

Didn't realise it was a Tongue in Cheek comment - perhaps others thinking replacing a boiler is always a sound idea might not have realized either!
  • MidlandsGas
    MidlandsGas Posts: 28 Forumite
    Options
    hamblip wrote: »
    Hi

Hope somebody can help.

Me and my girlfriend are looking to purchase our first house. We have come across a nice property with one draw back - it currently has night storage heating.

What we would ideally like to do is have that removed, and a gas central heating system installed. This by the looks of other posts, would have to include a boiler, water tank (or combi boiler), pipes and radiators, for a two bedroom house which already has mains gas supply with an emmersion heater.

Would the cost of installing this outway the benifits of a more economical heating system.

As we are looking to purchase, we haven't yet had any quotes (though we will post once we have one), but if anybody has an idea of what would be a resonable quote we would be very gratfull, or any national companys ie British gas that you might recomend.

Thanks

You can get a 500quid grant to convert from electric to gas central heating (more if you qualify for benefits)

Im not allowed to post links, but fınd a local installers registered with the A1 scheme.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure