what to do

Options
I've had it at work, my boss has been trying unsuccessfully to get rid of me for the last 8 months citing all sorts of spurious issues like lack of performance not following company processes although they arent documented etc, anyway the upshot is that Im sure I will end up being fired or walking out sooner or later and my main concern is surviving being unemployed, I have four kids and my wife is not working at the moment as the youngest is only a week old.

I am in receipt of HB/CTC and child benefit at the moment and was wondering what would happen to my benefits if I walked out on my job, Im not sure if I could prove constructive dismissal should the need arise.

Im terrified of the implication of having a "fired" entry on my CV and even with the financial considerations Ive been seriously thinking about quitting before it happens.

I have been with this company just over 2 1/2 years and haven't got any savings at all making this even more worrying.

I am in IT and am quite well qualified so I don't think I would be without some form of work for longer than a couple of months but surviving 2 months without income could be disastrous.

I've consulted with the local CAB who inferred I should still be entitled to my existing benefits but that JSA may be sanctioned, I'm not sure I fully trust the information given at the CAB as the person I spoke to did not seem too convincing.
I've also been to entitledto on line but there is no calculation option for being fired or resigning all I know for sure is I would be subject to sanctions on JSA application.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I think you need to start looking for work.

Make sure than no one knows and keep the personal fears away from work

Another way out might be a comprimise agreement but I would not bring this up till you have a job lined up.

A chat along the lines of you obviously want rid of me and I am getting fed up lets agree to part with a CA that way we stop this nonsense and we can both get on with our lifes.

Depends if the boss actualy has the power to swing a deal if they are acting alone then going over their head with a proposal might stop the threats.

Does the company have an enhanced redundancy policy that would be a usefull guide to compensation

Thinking in terms of PILON and 2-4 weeks full pay as compensation.
    What notice are you on.
  • minofly
    minofly Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks,
    The compromise would be my preferred option, I have been looking for alternatives without too much success though, the business I'm with is a very small one and has a record of treating people looking for alternatives giving notice as "traitors" summarily removing rights that allow them to do their work, effectively letting them sit around for a month doing nothing. My manager is the root cause here but the MD is aware of the issues and doesn't want to get involved, the company has no redundancy policy that I'm aware of, Im on 1 months notice but there's no way they would go for PILON.

In terms of the benefits issue, I know it is deemed and in a lot of cases rightly socially unacceptable I have been guilty of thinking the same, however it is a service offered to those who need it and funded in part by my own taxes over the last 20 odd years, given the choice of being unemployed without any income and savings or taking a temporary handout till I get another job I don't think there's much of a choice.

I just want to get on with my life with the least amount of stress at the moment whilst ensuring my family isn't left out on the street.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure