Help Cristening invitaion.

Options
Help! Every time I think I have a cheap week coming up something happens. We have just been invited to a Christening next week. I have told my OH that we are going to try to avoid any expensive social events but I can't really get out of this one. How much would you normaly spend on a Christening gift and has anyone got any suggestions for cheap but interesting gifts. It is for twins, a boy and a girl.

Comments

• newleaf
    newleaf Posts: 3,132 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Could you make something with their names and DOB painted or embroidered on? I have a friend who makes Xmas tree decorations for her neice & nephew, a new one every year with the year painted on. A nice idea for keeping, I think.
    Official DFW Nerd No 096 - Proud to have dealt with my debt!
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    in WH smith today they had childrens bibles for £1.99. Alternatively what about a classic book (Wind in the willows, Alice in Wonderland) book people etc do really good deals and usually a free p&p code available.Also I posted a code for Red House Books £5 off a book & free P & P. Don't know if it's still available but have a look.

Hope this helps
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    do you have a camara? try ang get a photo of twins on the day of christening looking all pristene and then make your own frame and if you are good at poetry write a poem or write there names e.g
    c= clever
    a= amazing
    t=tremendous (ha ha!)
    cat
    and put them in seperate (cheap)frames decorated yourself
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • Emmzi
    Emmzi Posts: 8,658 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Frame newspapers for the day of the christening. 2 papers = 2 quid tops plus three or four quid for frames.
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • Molanole
    Molanole Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I had a similar question a couple of weeks ago and posted on another board. I think there were some helpful responses.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=239100
    Debt Free Nerd No. 89, LBM: April 2006, Debt at highest (Sept 05): £40,939.96
    NOW TOTALLY DEBT FREE!!!!!!!! Woooo hooooooo!!! DEBT FREE DATE: 23 December 2009
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    the newspaper idea is really good-i wanted a newspaper when kids where born to keep and no-1 got one they all bought expesive gifts and 2 be honest a newspaper would have been just as good a keepsake.
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • judi24
    judi24 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks I really like the newspaper thing. I think I will try that - just need to find frames now.
  • moxie_2
    moxie_2 Posts: 609 Forumite
    Options
    I bought a nice wooden photo frame today in the 99p shop. They had lots of different shapes and sizes. You would never guess it was 99p!
    Total debt May 2005 £83,232 :eek:
    Total Debt November 2009 £0! DEBT FREE!
    Proud to have dealt with my debts
    Official DFW Nerd Club member no. 028
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I like the bibles idea
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they have a garden, small fruit trees are quite a nice idea, as this is then the child's tree, and they grow bigger together ;) - and by the time the child is old enough to realise that he/she "owns" their own tree, it should be producing fruit which they can eat. My friend's children each have their own apple tree in this manner and they love it (now 8 and 6 years old).:D

Not sure how much this would cost though:confused:, as it wasn't me that thought of it 8 and 6 years ago...:o

Piglet
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family