Thanks MSE!!!!

Options
Hi from another n00b DFW :beer:

After lurking on these forums for quite a while.. ive got up off my @ss to do something about my debts :T - they were not totally unmanageable, but i was getting nowhere quickly, and had kinda settled into a rut of minimum payments and high interest charges..

heres what ive done with guidence from MSE:
Ive switched current accounts from Cahoot to A&L who have a 0% overdraft...
Ive just got a 0% virgin creditcard to BT 4k to from a Mint card and a cahoot card....
Ive re-adjusted my financial priorites, so have just paid off and kicked a Natwest CC into touch, and am about to cancel the Mint card (19% on 3k) and a cahoot credit card

Ive started using Microsoft money to help me put into perspective the money im "wasting" on things like lunches at work etc..

In all ive streamlined my debt into 3 accounts instead of 7...
Thanks to this site ill save over £1000 a year in interest-charges alone....
I can finally begin to see a light at the end of the tunnel :j

THANKYOU MSE! :T

Comments

• lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    woooo hoo always nice to see another convert :T
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • cattie1
    cattie1 Posts: 2,063 Forumite
    Options
    Well Done. good on you, keep the good work up.;)
    official dfw nerd club member no 214
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
    Why is a person that handles your money called a broker?!:confused:
  • Molanole
    Molanole Posts: 1,563 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Well done you! :T Keep us posted on your progress!

Incidentally, how do you find Microsoft Money. I'm wondering if it's worth me splashing out on but don't know anyone who uses it?
    Debt Free Nerd No. 89, LBM: April 2006, Debt at highest (Sept 05): £40,939.96
    NOW TOTALLY DEBT FREE!!!!!!!! Woooo hooooooo!!! DEBT FREE DATE: 23 December 2009
  • NeoVR2k6
    NeoVR2k6 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    Molanole wrote:
    Well done you! :T Keep us posted on your progress!

Incidentally, how do you find Microsoft Money. I'm wondering if it's worth me splashing out on but don't know anyone who uses it?

I find it really helpful...
    have a look HERE for more opinions :)
    Its handy for me because i have a horrific habit of drawing a tenner out the bank almost every day... then spending it on rubbish... usually food, so ive got a cash-withdrawl limit of £100 a month... and i know how much ive spent on what at all times :)

Its also good for forcasting things.. eg i know my car insurance is due in november.. i can enter it into money, and it will help me budget for it....

a few things i will say are make sure your bank(s) allows statement downloads.. i moved from cahoot to A&L to get this feature (and on MSE reccomendation too) it makes life much easier..

also, be ruthless with the catagorys within money.. this is where i fell down the first time!... it has catagories for everything.. but its worth looking through and deleting the ones you wont need.. and maybe splitting them down into more if you think you need to. :)
  • Gemmzie
    Gemmzie Posts: 14,876 Forumite
    Options
    I'm a Money addict too - it's fab

Especially useful for tracking car costs, budgetting and long term forecasting. Their debt reduction plan is amazing - just like snowballing, and tells you a DFD :D And you can add an extra payment at anytime.

It schedules your bills so you know what's coming in the next few days. Very useful if like me , you are avoiding the OD before payday!

My bank doesn't allow downloads but I don't mind typing it in - doesn't take long.

Can you tell I like it? :T Got mine free with computer on a Works CD but definitely worth the investment. Getting mother used to it now too :T
    No longer using this account for new posts from 2013
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport